Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I use camera raw?

Hi,

I've only recently moved from PC to Mac and have been used to editing my raw Canon pics in camera raw before saving them down in Elements.

I've just tried to download Camera Raw and I think this has happened successfully (it shows up as a folder in the download section). However, I don't really know for sure! When I go to edit my raw pics (currently in iPhoto), it just opens them up straight away in Elements. This is annoying because I love the quick edit slider functionality in Camera Raw, so that I can rapidly edit for white balance/contrast/exposure etc.

How do I know if I've really downloaded it? And if I have downloaded it, is there something specific I need to do in order to install it?

Thanks so much,

Bek

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 10:27 PM

1 reply

Aug 11, 2012 11:19 PM in response to bekg

Processing Raw in a 3rd Party Application

You can also process your Raw with a 3rd Party app like ACR or Photoshop. *But* iPhoto does not handle this gracefully and it's a bit of a kludge.

First off set your preferred app as an external editor in iPhoto:

You can set Photoshop (or any image editor) as an external editor in iPhoto. (Preferences -> General -> Edit Photo: Choose from the Drop Down Menu.) This way, when you double click a pic to edit in iPhoto it will open automatically in Photoshop or your Image Editor, and when you save it it's sent back to iPhoto automatically. This is the only way that edits made in another application will be displayed in iPhoto.

Note that iPhoto sends a copy+ of the file to Photoshop, so when you save be sure to use the Save command, not Save As... If you use Save As then you're creating a new file and iPhoto has no way of knowing about this new file. iPhoto is preserving your original anyway.

Next: In the iPhoto Preferences -> Advanced, elect to use Raw with your External editor:

User uploaded file
Uploaded with plasq's Skitch!

Now when you go to edit the Raw it will be sent to your external editor.

Now for the kludge:

You cannot save a Raw. The work you do must be output to a new file, in a new format (jepg, tiff, whatever). However, as the External Editor is making this new file iPhoto has no knowledge of its existence. Therefore you *must save it to the desktop and then import it back to iPhoto as a new file*.

This means that you will have your Original Raw and the processed version in iPhoto but they will not be recognised as version and original. iPhoto will see them as two separate shots.

How do I use camera raw?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.