Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I install Windows 7 with boot camp, but install all my PC games for it on an external hardrive?

I have a new Mac, but I want to install Windows 7 with boot camp on it. However, I would only really be using it for gaming.

On another post, someone said that you could not install boot camp entirely onto an external hardrive. As boot camp would only be for gaming, then could I install all my games (when I'm given the option to chose the file of where to install) onto an external drive which is correctly formatted? (what is the format too?) Also, which would allow for a faster gameplay, USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt? as fast gameplay is important 🙂

Thank you

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 12, 2012 12:19 AM

8 replies

Aug 12, 2012 8:05 AM in response to The hatter

How to move steam to another drive:

1. Delete everything in the Steam folder except for the "steam.exe" and the "steamapps" folder
  2. Move the steam folder over to the secondary drive you want it on
  3. Open the "steam.exe" and it will reconfigure steam
  4. Log in and BAM! All your games are recognized
  5. Now, you can put what ever games you want on the SSD with Steam Mover (or junctions)
  6. Create another folder on the C:\ drive and name it (C:\Users\Sean\Steam Games)
  7. Run Steam Mover and have it move the game to that location and you are done!
  8. Now go play the games you want!

How to have steam on the SSD while having the games on either the SSD or HDD:

1. Delete everything in the Steam folder except for the "steam.exe" and the "steamapps" folder
  2. Have the "steam.exe" to a folder made on the C:\ drive (C:\Users\Sean\Steam)
  3. Have the "steamapps" folder on the HDD you want to store your games (D:\User\Program Files\Steam\steamapps)
  4. Make a junction from the "steamapps" folder to the SSD folder with the "steam.exe" in it
  5. Open the "steam.exe" and it will reconfigure steam
  6. Logged in and BAM! All your games are recognized and steam is on the SSD and the games on the other drive.
  7. Now, you can put what ever games you want on the SSD with Steam Mover (or junctions)
  8. Create another folder on the C:\ drive and name it (C:\Users\Sean\Steam Games)
  9. Run Steam Mover and have it move the game to that location and you are done!
  10. Now go play the games you want!

Aug 12, 2012 9:16 AM in response to Miccy10

Miccy10 wrote:

Terribly sorry

I just wanted several opinions, and am very busy

Generally, if I have the time, I am willing to thank

We are busy as well. We are just users like you. It makes it hard to respond to questions when the question is re-posted multiple times. The question loses focus.

You will get "several opinions" with just a single post. With multiple posts you will just get confused and disjointed responses.

Can I install Windows 7 with boot camp, but install all my PC games for it on an external hardrive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.