Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I need to instill anti virus program with iMac

I have a new 27 iMac with OS X, Mountain lion. Is it necessary to install a anti virus program? Also should firewall be on? If so how do I turn it on?

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 12, 2012 5:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2012 6:02 AM

Have a look at this thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4198016?answerId=19233381022#19233381022

Opinions differ but follow the links to klaus1's and Thomas A Reed's tips/articles and you'll get good advice.

FWIW, I occasionally run clamXav - more out of interest than necessity. Never found a problem.

9 replies

Aug 12, 2012 7:40 AM in response to June Day

Since Apple Mac's are constantly gaining market share and taking it away from PCs, many people have decided to start making viruses for the Mac. The reason the Mac has been known to be so secure for all these years is because it was insignificant compared to the market share PCs have had. Not because the Mac had impenetrable hardware. And there is adware, malware and bloatware that can affect Macs as well as Windows computers. Even some exe files even when not opened may affect the Mac.

So with the increasing market share of Macs, viruses are becoming more common for Macs (the most signifigant and infamous of them being the Mac Defender virus), so look into some anti-virus software. You don't need to spend a ton of money on expensive anti-virus software, like ESET, which detects files as viruses that are SIMILAR instead of exactly the same as a known virus. This can cause overdetection causing you to delete files you don't need to delete. And since Mac viruses aren't rapidly changing, yet, it's useless.

Although Avast! isn't very good for windows (it detects software that isn't even a virus, this is a problem on Windows XP especially, it detects some essencial system files as viruses...?? Not on a mac though) it's great for mac. Try it out.

Do I need to instill anti virus program with iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.