Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with Aperture crash please! (Importing library)

I created a new library, and then tried to import my existing library into the new library.

I've tried five times, and Aperture has crashed every time.

Here is the report:

Process: Aperture [515]

Path: /Applications/Aperture.app/Contents/MacOS/Aperture

Identifier: com.apple.Aperture

Version: 3.3.2 (3.3.2)

Build Info: Aperture-265039000000000~4

App Item ID: 408981426

App External ID: 9411464

Code Type: X86-64 (Native)

Parent Process: launchd [133]

Date/Time: 2012-08-12 00:37:44.986 -0700

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.7.4 (11E53)

Report Version: 9

Interval Since Last Report: 237872 sec

Crashes Since Last Report: 19

Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 143618 sec

Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 9

Anonymous UUID: 37DABC47-0250-492B-82BE-F3E2E916A06D

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:

*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSUnknownKeyException', reason: '[<RKAlbum 0x11737a560> valueForUndefinedKey:]: this class is not key value coding-compliant for the key minImageDate.'

*** First throw call stack:

(

0 CoreFoundation 0x00007fff852f9f56 __exceptionPreprocess + 198

1 libobjc.A.dylib 0x00007fff8c416d5e objc_exception_throw + 43

2 CoreFoundation 0x00007fff853841b9 -[NSException raise] + 9

3 Foundation 0x00007fff88f8b703 -[NSObject(NSKeyValueCoding) valueForUndefinedKey:] + 240

4 Foundation 0x00007fff88ec238e _NSGetUsingKeyValueGetter + 108

5 Foundation 0x00007fff88ec2315 -[NSObject(NSKeyValueCoding) valueForKey:] + 392

6 Foundation 0x00007fff88ee1da2 -[NSObject(NSKeyValueCoding) valueForKeyPath:] + 348

7 Foundation 0x00007fff88f0b244 _sortedObjectsUsingDescriptors + 395

8 Foundation 0x00007fff88ed716e -[NSMutableArray(NSKeyValueSorting) sortUsingDescriptors:] + 463

9 Aperture 0x00000001002adaae Aperture + 2808494

10 Aperture 0x00000001002ace23 Aperture + 2805283

11 Aperture 0x00000001002e6e0d Aperture + 3042829

12 libdispatch.dylib 0x00007fff88e8ea86 _dispatch_call_block_and_release + 18

13 libdispatch.dylib 0x00007fff88e908f6 _dispatch_main_queue_callback_4CF + 308

14 CoreFoundation 0x00007fff8528ee7c __CFRunLoopRun + 1724

15 CoreFoundation 0x00007fff8528e486 CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 230

16 HIToolbox 0x00007fff858054d3 RunCurrentEventLoopInMode + 277

17 HIToolbox 0x00007fff8580c6d3 ReceiveNextEventCommon + 181

18 HIToolbox 0x00007fff8580c60e BlockUntilNextEventMatchingListInMode + 62

19 AppKit 0x00007fff83504e31 _DPSNextEvent + 659

20 AppKit 0x00007fff83504735 -[NSApplication nextEventMatchingMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] + 135

21 Aperture 0x00000001004c409b Aperture + 4997275

22 AppKit 0x00007fff83501071 -[NSApplication run] + 470

23 ProKit 0x00000001014b7c9f NSProApplicationMain + 387

24 Aperture 0x000000010000fa74 Aperture + 64116

25 Aperture 0x000000010000f374 Aperture + 62324

)

objc[515]: garbage collection is OFF

terminate called throwing an exception

abort() called

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4), 8GB RAM with 240 GB SSD + 1 TB HD

Posted on Aug 12, 2012 7:43 AM

10 replies

Aug 12, 2012 9:19 AM in response to giordajl

'[<RKAlbum 0x11737a560> valueForUndefinedKey:]: this class is not key value coding-compliant for the key minImageDate.'

This error message from your crash report is very typical for an Aperture library that contains smart iPhoto albums, with the projects view sorted by date. Change the sort order for the projects in your empty library to another sort key, different from date.

Have you imported an iPhoto Library previously? Then I would remove all iPhoto smart iPhoto albums and rebuild the library. Also remove the smart albums from the library that you are trying to import and rebuild the library before importing.

Regards

Léonie

Aug 12, 2012 10:34 AM in response to léonie

Thank you for the help!

Approximately a year ago I moved from iPhoto to Aperture. At that time I followed Apple directions and imported iPhoto library as referenced.

Questions:

1. How do I find all iPhoto smart albums to delete?

2. How do I delete them?

3. Should I delete them in Aperture or in iPhoto?

4. When you say "also remove the smart albums front the library you are trying to import" it confuses me.

To try to clarify:

I have two files:

Aperture library 75GB

iPhoto library 120GB

Aperture currently references iPhoto library.

So, when I am importing Aperture library file in to new fresh library, what does it do with regard to referenced iPhoto? Just trys to add to new library referenced?

Perhaps I am better off just using consolidate masters to get to one file? What would pros and cons be? To do that, would I just select all photos in Aperture and say consolidate masters?

Aug 12, 2012 11:31 AM in response to giordajl

How to find all iPhoto albums? If you cannot remember, which (smart) albums originally came from iPhoto, delete and recreate all albums - that is what I did, to be on the safe side, or use the procedure, that Alex Brown found, but it may be a bit involved, if you are not experienced with the Terminal; see this discussion:

Aperture 3.3.2 unresponsive if library contains old iPhoto albums - solution

How to delete them?
If you are browsing your Aperture library and select a smart album in the library Inspector, simply ctrl-click it and select "Delete Smart Album" from the Pop-up menu.

User uploaded file

• Should I delete them in Aperture or in iPhoto?
    You imported them to Aperture, so delete them in Aperture. Deleting them now from your iPhoto Library will not help.
  • When you say "also remove the smart albums front the library you are trying to import" it confuses me: I understood you were trying to import an Aperture library into another Aperture Library. So if you can remove incompatible albums before importing it would be safer.

Aperture currently references iPhoto library.

So, when I am importing Aperture library file in to new fresh library, what does it do with regard to referenced iPhoto? Just trys to add to new library referenced?

When you import a referenced library the imported library will continue to reference the images.

Perhaps I am better off just using consolidate masters to get to one file? What would pros and cons be? To do that, would I just select all photos in Aperture and say consolidate masters?

Do you still need your iPhoto Library? When you consolidate the referenced original images (that are now in your iPhoto Library) into your current Aperture Library, your iPhoto library will be corrupted - Aperture will remove the original masters and move them into your Aperture Library. So make a backup of the iPhoto Library on an external drive.

But I strongly recommend to consolidate your Aperture library, when you are now going to work with Aperture; it is risky to keep your referenced masters in another application package and to share the masters. If you delete images from iPhoto you may be deleting your Aperture masters.

Regards

Léonie

Aug 12, 2012 1:09 PM in response to léonie

Thank you very much for all of the exprt advice!

Would you recommend I resolve the issue with IPhoto smart albums before consolidating masters? Or doesnt matter?

My Aperture library seems to be OK other than the crash when trying to import it into a new, fresh library.

Also, once I consolidate masters to effectively make Referenced iPhoto now managed by Aperture, should library be roughly same size as the currently two separate files combined? How much excess disk space will I need to make this work before I delete leftover iPhoto library? Or will it effectively move files instead of copying so don't need a whole lot extra?

Aug 12, 2012 1:19 PM in response to giordajl

Another strange thing to note. I went ahead and opened the new Aperture library I created on my SSD, into which I've been trying to import my OLD Aperture library, to start over fresh. The one that keeps crashing.

If I click on all photos, it appears that all imported! 25,747 images. However, Albums is what got stuck and didn't import.

But, strangely, this new library shows as only 58 GB on disk, while my OLD main library shows as 77 GB on disk. Does that make any sense?

Aug 12, 2012 1:42 PM in response to giordajl

Would you recommend I resolve the issue with IPhoto smart albums before consolidating masters? Or doesnt matter?

Consolidating masters and deleting albums should be independent of each other. But it would be safer to fix this cause for crashes before you proceed, because crashes may corrupt the library.

Afaik, the iPhoto albums only cause trouble, if the sorting for projects is set to "Date". So the first thing to do would be to turn off sorting by date for the "Projects" view. set it to "name" or "Manual".

User uploaded file

How much excess disk space will I need to make this work before I delete leftover iPhoto library? Or will it effectively move files instead of copying so don't need a whole lot extra?

Consolidating should prompt you, if you want to move the files or to copy them. If you choose to move, no extra space should be required. if you choose to copy, you will need more space, but will have the benefit that your iPhoto library still will be working,

The addiditional space required should be the size of the "Masters" folder inside the iPhoto Library. The iPhoto library also contains edited versions, thumbnails, and an iLife Photo cache, but this will not be imported to Aperture.

The size difference you notice may be caused by the size of the versions, and the photo cache.

Aug 12, 2012 8:33 PM in response to léonie

Now I am even more confused!

Import of my OLD Aperture library into a NEW empty library finally worked without crashing! This after deleting all smart albums that were previously created in iPhoto.

However, the new Aperture library after import is only showing 7 Albums. While my primary OLD Aperture library has at least another 25 albums in it (smart albums, books, regular albums).

Upon closer inspection, I notice that all of these MISSING albums were under a folder called Library Albums.

Does that make any difference? Why would Aperture have completed import into new library without any errors but not made a complete match?

Again, all photos appear to be in library. But albums are missing.

Any way to check and compare OLD library with NEW library other than just a spot check as I've done in inspector?

Also, OLD library 76.38 GB on disk.

NEW library just 58.22 GB on disk?!

Aug 12, 2012 9:53 PM in response to giordajl

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Aperture 3 now has this new sections, and by defalut Aperture will show the products like "Books", "Albums" in these sections. If you hover the mouse beside the name of a section you can see, that you can hde and unhide these sections completely. You may have more sections with books and slideshows.

If your albums are now in the "Albums" section, they are not missing. Aperture just moved them on import to the section where now do belong to. You still can create products directly within the projects and folders if you want.

If you do not see all sections "Book", "Screensaver", create at least one dummy item of these products, then the sections will show.

Any way to check and compare OLD library with NEW library other than just a spot check as I've done in inspector?

Two compare two libraries project by project you could open your old Aperture Library in iPhoto 9.3 and your new library in Aperture at the same time and check all projects in turn, if all images are there.

I understand that you are worried by the discrepancy of size, but a new library can be considerably smaller - Photo Stream, iPhoto Cache, Previews. These can account for several GB of data and be empty in a new library.

In addition to comparing the total number of images i'd compare the numbers for different file status. Do you have the same number of referenced images, managed images, offline images?

To count based on file status create smart albums with an added rule "File Status is".

Aug 13, 2012 3:50 AM in response to giordajl

f you are missing the Books, they should appear in the "Books" section; maybe you have to unhide this section as well.

if your "Books" section is really empty, and more albums are missing, repair your Aperture Library see "Repairing and Rebuilding your Library". Start with repairing permissions and repairing the database, and if necessary rebuild the database.

Regards

Léonie

Help with Aperture crash please! (Importing library)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.