Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can i host a site on mac os x server?

hellow guys i need some help, this is my site http://www.inauzwa.com, can i use the mac os x lion server to host this site?

thank you

regards arnold gabriel

cofounder @ http://www.inauzwa.com

mac os x server-OTHER, OS X Server

Posted on Aug 12, 2012 9:04 AM

4 replies

Aug 12, 2012 9:46 PM in response to inauzwa.com

It's not possible to look at a web site and answer your question directly.

In general, hosting one web site is much like any other web site, but it's the back-end technology that's the question.

It isn't clear what your site is built on. If it's built on PHP, Java, Python or any of the other common/standard web technologies then the chances are high.

If it's written based around MS SQL server and .NET then almost certainly not - at least not without significant effort - because these technologies are based around proprietary Microsoft technologies.

Aug 21, 2012 2:27 PM in response to Mark23

Short Answer: Yes

Extended Answer: You should have some knowledge of Networks in order to make your site available to the General public if you are trying to host from home - for example you will need a paid service like what DynDNS.com offers - unless you happen to have two static IP's (which is possible to get if you are on cable internet with sufficient bandwidth and yes them 2 IP's would be adressable with only one modem).

If you get DynDNS ... they explain pretty much everything u need to know to get things running.

If you get two static IP's you can bind both IP's to your network adapter and then you would need to know a few things about DNS setup and configuration - if you do it properly you can host easily more than "just one" website.

Technical prerequisites for "website". As long as your website is HTML or PHP/MySQL based u will have no problems at all (I used to administer a XServe Dual G5 Unit which was hosted / colocated in a professional data ceneter up until not to long ago) - unfortunately the last Server OS working on it was 10.5.8 ... then the support and updates stopped (Thanks by the way Apple Inc ... kindda ****** at you guys, that was a perfectly good 1U Rackmount Server)

Can i host a site on mac os x server?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.