Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Apple not support the rSAP - Remote SIM Access Profile - for connection to car handsfree via Bluetooth

Hello community,

I just ordered a new car and it comes with a bluetooth based handsfree installation based on rSAP (remote SIM access profile). I learned that rSAP is the ideal thing to eliminate the unwanted radiofrequency radiation (RFR) inside the car. Now while googleing I also learned that iPhone on iOS does not support rSAP.

I would like to point to the following page which shows some more detailed information on the rSAP topic:

http://paulroberts69.wordpress.com/2011/02/28/android-2-2-and-rsap-compatibility /

I find rSAP a very usefuly thing, if it really brings the GSM radiation level down inside the car and allows the full use of all GSM functions by the rSAP premium handsfree kit built into the car. I absolutely do not understand why it is not already available with iOS.

From several web sources I understand that rSAP is available for jailbroken iPhones. That means, the chips inside the iPhone would support a rSAP service. Therefore my question: will it become available with iOS 6?

Or do all the folks at Apple drive old cars/brands and don't even think of the rSAP feature? Can we somehow start to get a hearing by the Apple developers? According to my knowledge, rSAP is implemented with all premium handsfree factory units of the VW brands - Audi, VW, Skoda ... This should make a relevant user base!

Any others with same wish and/or experiences? Comment here please!

Regards,

Olaf

iPhone 4, iOS 4.3.2, in a lovely blue fitbag ...

Posted on Aug 12, 2012 9:58 AM

8 replies

Aug 12, 2012 10:04 AM in response to äppel.de

Apple has not said why they have not implemented this BT profile.

Everything currently publicly know about iOS 6 is here:

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/

You may also want to check the More Like This box to the right. There are other threads on this issue.

Submit your feedback directly to Apple requesting this feature using the appropriate link on the Feedback page:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Aug 12, 2012 10:33 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Hi Meg,

could be several things:

1. they forgot?

2. none of their team members drives any VW branded car?

3. nobody cares about the radiation inside the car?

4. all have plugin holders for the iPhone?

:-)

I am just surprised that rSAP is offered by a premium car maker, but Apple seems ignorant about its support.

I am mostly concerned about the radiation when I use regular hands free. But I do understand that rSAP also has some limitations (only access to SIM contacts and other things, Wikipedia DE has a good full report, Wikipedia EN is much shorter).

Regards,

Olaf

Aug 12, 2012 10:34 AM in response to äppel.de

From the iOS 6 page;

"Eyes Free

Apple is working with car manufacturers to integrate Siri into select voice control systems. Through the voice command button on your steering wheel, you’ll be able to ask Siri questions without taking your eyes off the road. To minimize distractions even more, your iOS device’s screen won’t light up. With the Eyes Free feature, ask Siri to call people, select and play music, hear and compose text messages, use Maps and get directions, read your notifications, find calendar information, add reminders, and more. It’s just another way Siri helps you get things done, even when you’re behind the wheel."

Aug 12, 2012 10:42 AM in response to äppel.de

äppel.de wrote:

Hi Meg,

could be several things:

1. they forgot?

2. none of their team members drives any VW branded car?

3. nobody cares about the radiation inside the car?

4. all have plugin holders for the iPhone?

It could be any number of things but Apple has not said. Speculation about Apple decisions is prohibited by the Terms of Use of these forums.

Why does Apple not support the rSAP - Remote SIM Access Profile - for connection to car handsfree via Bluetooth

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.