5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 17, 2012 5:57 AM by scheydec
scheydec Level 1 (0 points)

Hi all,

I have a new MBP Retina, which came with Lion, but which I immediately upgraded to Mountain Lion.  I'm a long-time Mac user, and I love this new one, but the Dock is behaving strangely.  After using the computer for a while, programs no longer get marked as "running" with the little light under them in the dock.  In addition, the right-click menu for that program shows "Open", not "Quit", even though the program is already running.  This behavior continues until I reboot.  Then the Dock works correctly for a while, but eventually reverts to the problem.

Lest you think I'm crazy, I took a screen shot that clearly shows the light under Mail, but _not_ under Safari, even though the screen shot shows that Safari is open.  Further, you can see that the right-click option is to "Open" Safari, not quit it.  You can see the screen shot at http://flic.kr/p/cQtbcf

Any suggestions, other than very Windows-like rebooting multiple times a day?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion
  • bomielke.uk Level 1 (0 points)

Hi -

This is happening on my MacBook Air (mid-2012) as well.  I found that if I go into Activity Monitor and force quit the Dock, it resumes normal behaviour for a while.  However, the issue usually reappears soon.

It also affects my ability to cmd-tab between applications

Hopefully will be fixed soon...

• Amer_in_Philly Level 1 (0 points)

Me too. MacBook Retina with Mountain Lion. Running apps not showing in dock or in command/tab. Also indicator lights not showing even though app is running.

Apps can be in the dock before this behavior starts, the dock icon will not have the indicator light on when the app is running.

This behavior stops with reboot but recurrs eventually.

It is very irritating.

• macjack Level 9 (51,639 points)

It could be the Dock prefs

Go to your Finder "Go" menu choose "Go to Folder" and enter ~/Library/Preferences. Then delete these files and restart or log out and back in.

com.apple.dock.plist

com.apple.dock.db

com.apple.dock.extra.plist

You need to reset your Dock the way you like it.

• aberlin Level 1 (0 points)

run killall -KILL Dock in the terminal to restart the dock without reboot.

• scheydec Level 1 (0 points)

With my MBP Retina, rebooting wouldn't take much longer than running killall, and, yes, I know how to do this if I'm in a situation where I want to solve the problem without having to reboot.  But how do I prevent it from happening - or when will Apple put out a fix for this bug?