Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My new AirPort Express is dropping its digital AirPlay output

I have a home network w/ a TimeCapsule base station and two AirPort Express satellites. One Express is the 'latest' (AppleTV-alike) and the other is the 'next-to-latest' b/g/n (wall-wart) model.

Everything is up-to-date firmware-wise, and software-wise as of the moments I am typing this. (I'm a developer and have also tested 10.8.1 prerelease 1 against this problem to no avail, fwiw.)

The problem is this- when the 'new' Express is connected digitally to my stereo (via optical -> Schiit Bifrost D/A) I experience rather persistent drop-outs of the digital stream when using AirPlay via iTunes. (It happens with other output also, fwiw, but thought I'd constrain the problem a little for the sake of debuggery.)

This is especially noticable since the Schiit doesn't use the DAC's mute line and, instead, drops a relay whenever the digital signal flakes out. Thus, I hear a reassuring 'click' when the Schiit (you can tell I love typing that, right?) acquires and loses the digital signal. (Note also that I've tried this with an older DAC I have and have the same results, just no 'click' of reassurance... only a meager LED.)

If I replace the 'new' Express with the 'almost-new-wall-wart' express this problem goes away- poof! Nice smoove sound. No dropouts, nothing but the AirPlay music of my choice. (A few minutes ago, Lisa Germano... right now, some free jazz, because I need a headache.)

I've tried most of the usual troubleshooting things- different inputs (swapping the two different airports), different digital cable, different DACs, and even a little bit of different source delivery (right now, a Retina MBP, and sometimes an iPad.) The only thing that -seems- to matter is the model of the AirPort Express.

One interesting thing I have noticed is that, when using AirPlay I'm getting a rather constant 150-or-so KB/sec upstream according to Activity Monitor. Makes sense I suppose. When these glitches take place, I see a big ol' 'spike' to like 250 KB/sec or so, then, the music will 'start over'. The drops are about 1-2 secs and usually the music stream 'picks up' where it dropped off, but usually is then choppy until everything catches up. (Buffer corruption perchance?)

Thoughts? I realize this is a really complicated setup issue, and there might be 1-2 other hu-mans on earth with this same setup, so any corroborating evidence would be welcome. I'm going to drop a note to my ol' pals at Schiit (man I love typing that) to see if they see any of this too.

AirPort Express [New]-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 12, 2012 3:22 PM

24 replies

Aug 18, 2012 1:14 PM in response to flipfromsaratoga

My configuration is not exaclty the same, but I think the problem is. I am using 2 new (simultaneous dual band) AirPort Express base stations, one as router connected directly to the Internet and the other one as bridge. Both are connected to speakers via analog audio out. There is no WDS, the base stations have both WiFi enabled, but the bridge's WAN port is cabled to the router's LAN.

Well, audio drops out about every couple of minutes and then seems trying to catch up as when there is video to sync before becoming again normal. The problem happens when using AirPlay sound combined with video playback on my iPad 2's screen, when playing music from default app in the same iPad, when playing music from iTunes on a Windows PC connected to WiFi and when playing music from iTunes on a Mac Mini wired to the network, i.e.: always. I don't think it's a network problem. I had previously an a/b/g/n AirPort Express without simultaneous dual band, the previous model, and this probleme never showed up.

I've reported the bug to Apple, but had no answer.

For the record, bot my AEs are the british model: MC414ZA/A

Aug 28, 2012 12:19 PM in response to flipfromsaratoga

I have an iMac, Time Capsule (latest gen), Apple TV (1080p) and a new Airport Express and I'm having the exact same problem as you, but only when I conect the AE with an optical cable. When I connect it with an analog cable the problem goes away but the music doesn't sound as crisp as I would like. When I change it with the old AE and optical I have no issue at all!

I don't know if Apple can solve this with a firmware update or should they change us the AEs.

Oct 4, 2012 9:46 PM in response to flipfromsaratoga

I talked to Apple support and they gave me a few options to try. One was to go to the wireless tab of the Airport Utility and then select "Wireless Options" and make sure the 5 ghz network is checked. Checking that box corrected the problem for me. No more dropping out airTunes. They also suggested trying airTunes without using the "Guest" network and also making sure your Airport router is close enough to your computer. Hope these suggestions help others as well.

Nov 15, 2012 3:56 PM in response to flipfromsaratoga

The options skagitron suggested worked for me. I previously had an Airport Extreme and picked up an Express because I had a little bit of an inexplicable deadzone in the corner of my apartment (which really isn't that big) and I wanted to attach some speakers there.

I did not have this deadzone when I was using a Linksys router.

So anyway, make sure to create a 5 ghz network in airport utility and then actually log in to that network with your computer. Even though I've read 5 ghz networks are supposed to have less range, the music is far less uninterrupted. Strange. Perhaps it has to do with interference.

Nov 17, 2012 1:14 PM in response to Phaedon2

I too am experiencing this with the newest AEx and not the previous one. But my route to solving it has led me to different information.

I connected this new AEx via optical cable to a Wyred4Sound DAC and the signal stopped and started at regular short intervals. Tech support at W4S claimed that was due to 'too much jitter' and the "Sabre chip' could not lock on to the signal. They had tested this with the previous AEx and knew it to work fine.

I replaced that new AEx with my previous one and sure enough, it plays fine.

In another room I have the Schiit DAC connected optically as another poster has. With the newest AEx and various alternate music players (Amarra, Pure Music, BitPerfect, etc.) and Airplay to send them all out, the Schiit DAC reacts badly and the 'Bad Signal Light' illuminates.

I put the previous AEx back into the chain and all those things are possible without activating the warning light.

I read lots of Audiophile boards and this is starting to be discussed. One thread has measurements and tries to prove that the newest AEx has worse audio performance when combining digital audio jitter and Total Harmonic Distortion. I can't undestand what the measurements mean but the conclusion seems clear.

Nov 17, 2012 3:56 PM in response to flipfromsaratoga

Here's one: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/466-measurements-first-and-second-gene ration-apple-airport-express/?postid=185859

It's a little misleading. He claims that the newest AEx measures lower jitter but higher distortion overall. I have clearly seen that a Sabre chip DAC simply will not steadily stream music from the new AEx. That, according to W4S tech is because of the jitter.

Jan 7, 2013 4:33 PM in response to flipfromsaratoga

I also ran into exactly the same issue when pairing new AE with my Antelope Zodiac Gold DAC via AE's optical out. Analog out has no issues. But this happens only when I AirPlay from my iPhone 5 (5GHz), iPod Touch 5th (5GHz) and 4th Gen (2.4GHz). Music would constantly drop out every so often for 1 or 2 seconds. But when I uses iTunes 11 from my 2011 Macbook Pro (also using 5GHz) running Mountain Lion (10.8.2) to AirPlay music to AE, it works flawlessly! Never a drop out, not even once... My DAC also has a relay so I can hear the click as well.

The same AE optical out works without any issues with my two Pioneer Elite receivers, SC-09TX and SC-57 even the source is my iPhone 5 or iPod Touch.

This is driving me crazy!!! Perhaps my DAC is very sensitive to optical jitter but then why would it work flawlessly when my Macbook Pro is the source of AirPlay??? Something different in wireless implementation on the iDevices?

Feb 21, 2013 2:44 PM in response to flipfromsaratoga

I bought a new model Airport Express. Replaced an A1264 version with it. Connected via optical out to a Cyrus DAC-XP. The A1264 had worked perfectly, new version immediately had audio dropouts. I sent it back. Put the A1264 back in, perfect. Then a few days later - dropouts! What the...?

Then I remembered I had recently updated firmware on the A1264, to V 7.6.3. Downgraded it to V 7.6.1 - problem solved!

Wish I still had the new model to see if it would run 7.6.1 and whether that solved its dropout problem.

Feb 21, 2013 2:54 PM in response to celticred

Oh please tell me how to get 7.6.1. I don't know my numbers the way you do, but I had a previous version of the AEx that was not the new square one. When the square one would not allow my DAC to stream music without skips (due to excess jitter) I replaced it with the previous model I still had.

All was perfect until just a week or so ago when I took the bait and updated that with new firmware. Then it began skipping. I still had one other older one left and put that in place.. no skipping.

I want to get back what I had before when both AEx's could be counted on to play music seamlessly.

Thank you so much for reporting that. There's another thread here about jitter skips that people have been contributing to. That's where I posted my story of the most recent update.

Feb 21, 2013 3:05 PM in response to Eddie Strauss

Wellll, I used Airport Utility 5.6.1, which seems to give more control over this stuff than the later version 6.x.

So, depending on what you have, your question might become "tell me how to get 5.6.1"...

Anyway, in 5.6.1 there is a menu item - "Upload Firmare" which, if you have previously upgraded firmware using this utility, gives you a list of previous versions to choose from (they're saved on your hard drive).

If this doesn't help in your situation, firmware 7.6.1 is here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1481?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

You might still need AU 5.6.1 to apply it, I can't see how to do that using AU 6.2.

You can get that here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1536

Don't blame me if you go thru all that and it doesn't solve your problem :-)

Feb 21, 2013 4:16 PM in response to celticred

Haha. Thank you. I do have Airport Utility 5.6 and I just downloaded 5.6.1. I remember the drop down with previous versions. Maybe 5.6.1 will be listed. What about 5.6.2? I was good to go until the very last update so the previous one is fine for me.

I'm also lucky I had a spare Express that was not yet updated. I get the messages but I'm holding firm.

Maybe Apple will take care of all this before too long. There appear to be lots of DAC models that have been affected. Mine is a Wyred4Sound.

In another room my Bryston DBA-1 doesn't flinch at all with the new square AEx. Go figure.

My new AirPort Express is dropping its digital AirPlay output

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.