Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have the wrong email address on my icloud and my ipod touch says I need to verify it but I can't because I misspelled it, what should I do to change it?

I have the wrong email address on my icloud and my ipod touch says I need to verify it but I can't because I misspelled it, what should I do to change it?

iPod touch

Posted on Aug 12, 2012 5:51 PM

15 replies

Aug 13, 2012 2:25 AM in response to eboutcher

Welcome to the Apple Community.

Firstly, you need to change your details with Apple, Start here, change your country if necessary and go to manage your account.

In order to change your Apple ID or password for your iCloud account on your iOS device, you need to delete the account from your iOS device first, then add it back using your updated details. (Settings > iCloud, scroll down and hit "Delete Account")

Providing you are simply updating your existing details and not changing to another account, when you delete your account, all the data that is synced with iCloud will also be deleted from the device (but not from iCloud), but will be synced back to your device when you login again.

In order to change your Apple ID or password for your iCloud account on your computer, you need to sign out of the account from your computer first, then sign back in using your updated details. (System Preferences > iCloud, click the sign out button)

In order to change your Apple ID or password for your iTunes account on your iOS device, you need to sign out from your iOS device first, then sign back in using your updated details. (Settings > store, scroll down and tap your ID)

Nov 5, 2013 7:43 AM in response to seamusmf

sorry dont know where you all live but there was a guy named jamal at the apple store in oakridge mall (san jose, california)

not entirely sure what he did but he was verifying my apple id and icloud information using different methods and finally got it where he could erase the wrong email.

maybe no harm in calling that genius bar and asking for him?

Oct 21, 2014 2:43 PM in response to eboutcher

I spent a long time with Apple Support with the same problem. On the iPhone 6, the only apparent solution is to restore as new. When you try to do that, however, you will find that you cannot restore until you turn off "Find my iPhone," but you cannot turn it off because you cannot log in to iCloud in the first place. As a result, you have to do a forced reboot. You do that by holding down both the power button and the home button at the same time. It's a little more nuanced than that, but I don't remember the specifics. I think you push home for three seconds, then (while still holding down Home) push and hold the power button for ten seconds. I might have this backwards. In any event, stop trying the logical things, like deleting the account or trying to edit it. Also, it helps if you can then restore from a back-up that precedes the date you misspelled your Apple ID.

Feb 13, 2015 4:44 PM in response to eboutcher

So i had this problem with my brother's phone and I was so frustrated. But I was able to fix the problem.

1. I checked the email and checked if it's been used

2. I noticed it wasn't so I created an account with the email

3. I went to iforgot.apple.com and entered the email and reset password

4. I checked the email and got instructions and reset the password and deleted the iCloud account.

Aug 16, 2015 7:31 AM in response to Winston Churchill

HI, I have this same problem but with one weird factor added. My wife when she work on icloud erroneously type in a wrong email address. This is where my case differs, the email had this xxxx@yahoo.comw

I dont know how its accepted this typo but im at my wits end. the phone is stuck at verifying with a message " check your email at xxx@yahoo.comw for instructions to verify this account". But how can i check this email add, the right email add without the "w" at the end is not receiving this verification notice.

Please help!

Aug 16, 2015 7:42 AM in response to raksPHL

Visit appleid.apple.com, and choose Manage your Apple ID. Sign in to your Apple ID by using misspelled email and a password which was used to create Apple ID. If you are lucky, you should be able to correct your misspelled email.

If you are not able to do that, then your best shot is to contact with AppleCare.

If you are not lucky, and AppleCare can't help you, you might need to create new Apple ID.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.