Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Magic Mouse Died (and I fixed it) **USER TIP

About a month ago my Apple Magic Mouse just lost connection. I changed the batteries but got no green light. I have heard that theres a good chance if this happens you can take the mouse in and Apple will replace (with a genious bar appointment) but there are no guarantees. So I put the mouse on a shelf and bought a new one and kept working. I recently bought a new Macbook Pro and really like using the magic mouse with laptops so the trackpad gets less use which in turn keeps the value higher. I pulled out the mouse and started looking at it and realized the battery terminals might have something on them. I took a screw driver with a windex glass wipe and proceeded to rub around on the metal terminals (both sets.) Made sure it was good and dry, popped batteries in and it works fine!

Mice tend to have build up on the bottom of them because of the particles on your desk surface. Apparently this can get into the battery compartment. Hope this saves someone a trip to the Apple Store or better yet $60 for a new one. 🙂

Posted on Aug 12, 2012 5:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 3:35 PM

Thanks for the tip😍

21 replies

May 20, 2014 12:49 AM in response to -djbolt-

It worked:) My apple magic mouse cursor was not moving. All other functionalities like page down, page up, screen move, scrolling were working fine. I tried resetting everything. I also cleaned up the mouse but did not cleanup the battery positive terminal position. After looking at this thread, I just took my pen cap covered with a small cloth and cleaned up the positive terminal position. I placed my battery back on. It did the magic. It worked. Thanks a lot for your help, djbolt. 🙂

Regards,

Balu.

My Magic Mouse Died (and I fixed it) **USER TIP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.