Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are many of my photos missing? External editor badge applied to all of the missing ones to...

I switched over my iPhoto library to Aperture but realized about 20% of the entire library contains thumbs but no image. These missing photos have size (e.g. 1MB) but no resolution (it says 0 x 0 px). Also all of these photos have the dot inside the circle badge indicating that it was editired with an external editor which most or all were not... I rebuilt the library and tried reprocessing masters without success. Most of these are older digital photos that are small in size but have sentimental value to them. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Aug 12, 2012 7:25 PM

8 replies

Aug 12, 2012 11:14 PM in response to LongIslandCity

What do you mean by "I switched over my iPhoto library to Aperture"? Do you now open your iPhoto library in Aperture, or did you import your iPhoto Library to Aperture?

Are the missing images there, if you open your library again in iPhoto to check? Look at the original files in iPhoto by selecting one of the missing images and selecting "Reveal in Finder > Original". Then you will see, if the master image file exists and can check its quality. It may be, that you imported some of your externally edited images to iPhoto as referenced, and that the originals were not online, when you imported your iPhoto library.

Regards

Léonie

Aug 18, 2012 2:29 PM in response to Tony Gay

Tony,

I have tried this and while there are a few offline files (about 100), there are thousands of images that are not displaying in the library, but claim to not be offline. I tried locating the referenced file only to be prompted, "The selection doesn't have any referenced files."

I opened the library back into iPhoto and there are no missing images. Do you think repairing or rebuilding the library would help?

Aug 18, 2012 2:36 PM in response to léonie

Léonie,

To be more specific I now open my iPhoto in Aperture. The files should be there since they are when opened in iPhoto, though when opened in Aperture, the files have sizes (in kb's and mb's) but 0.0mp resolution. The file doesn't claim to be offine but when referenced it cannot be located. I have tried several sorting methods and have not been able to isolate the specific feature that's in common with all the photos that are missing.

All I can tell is

1. Each of these missing photos has no resolution but does have a file size
  2. They all have an external editor badge, yet few or none were ever exported for editing
  3. The files seem to be evenly spread throughout every event, regardless of the at least 15 cameras that photos came from over the 10 year time stretch of images in the library.

Would rebuilding help? reprocessing the master/original could not be performed...

Thanks again, sorry for delay

Aug 18, 2012 2:57 PM in response to LongIslandCity

What is the format of the image files, with a resolution of 0.0 mp? I have only seen this recently for some of my dng-files that the Adobe dng-converter creates from my Lumix .RW2 raw files.

When you open the iPhoto Library in iPhoto, you should be able to select one of the problematic images and use "File > Reveal in Finder > Original File". Copy the file that is revealed and inspect it with other applications - Preview, Photoshop, Gimp, whatever you have as image editor, can other applications open the original file or is it corrpted?

Then open the library again in Aperture and select the image again. This time use "File > Relocate original file" and relocate the original to the Desktop. Copy the file again and compare the two copies - from iPhoto and from Aperture - are they identical, or is Aperture using the wrong original?

Aug 18, 2012 3:10 PM in response to léonie

Strange. The photos that don't display in Aperture will still display in iPhoto but when I view the info the file doesn't show resolution information only for those problematic photos

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Files sizes are almost all jpeg. Once I reference the file in iPhoto, the master displayed resolution for the photo within finder. The photo's original file also opened in preview and photoshop.

Why are many of my photos missing? External editor badge applied to all of the missing ones to...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.