Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBookPro Feed Back

I'm looking for feedback on what is better for my MacBookPro, to shut down at the end of the day, or just put it to sleep?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 12, 2012 8:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2012 8:48 PM

Your call. Some people run their MBP 24/7, and have been for years.

Others shutdown at end of day for reasons about "applications and OSX should sleep sometime".

I have a little of both ... sometimes I leave it running for days just to avoid "setting up application configuration" again. Somes I shutdown because nothing needs to stay running, and I can unplug from the wall to remove all risk of accidental power spike damage.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2012 8:48 PM in response to Indy12

Your call. Some people run their MBP 24/7, and have been for years.

Others shutdown at end of day for reasons about "applications and OSX should sleep sometime".

I have a little of both ... sometimes I leave it running for days just to avoid "setting up application configuration" again. Somes I shutdown because nothing needs to stay running, and I can unplug from the wall to remove all risk of accidental power spike damage.

Aug 12, 2012 8:52 PM in response to Indy12

Thanks, I was reading the "Power Nap" aspect of Moutnain Lion when it is in sleep mode, so was wondering. I know some PC people that never turn their machine off, saying its good for the hard drive not to turn it off. My biggest concern was over heating the machine. See how we go, thank apple for apple care!

Aug 12, 2012 9:01 PM in response to Indy12

Hi Indy,

I have the program iStat Pro which I use to monitor processes and memory usage on my MBP. What I've noticed is that if I've opened a whole bunch of programs, worked for a while and then closed them all, there is still RAM being used. I have 8Gb of RAM and sometimes I run out. This is defied as memory leaking and the only way you can fix it is by restarting your computer.

I try to make a habit of restarting my computer every few days for this reason, or if I'm about to start a big project where I have maybe two large programs running - ie Parallels (very memory intensive if you have allocated extra RAM to running Windows - lets face it, Windows needs all the memory it can get!) and another major application like Photoshop or Final Cut Pro.

If you find that your computer is running very slowly one day, chances are that it's run out of memory and its starting to use the swap file (when the RAM - ie very fast memory - is full, the system starts to transfer data to your much, much slower hard disk drive instead so that your system doesn't crash) which slows things down incredibly. Time for a restart!

Aug 12, 2012 9:28 PM in response to PAJohnsy

So what I'm seeing form both Steve359 and PAJohnsy is: sleep mode is just fine, and if things start slowing down, restart. Thats great so all my windows and applications will stay put for a while.

I'm going to keep this question open for a bit to see if anyone has a reply debating the shut down side of the argument.

Thanks for the input,

MacBookPro Feed Back

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.