5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 5, 2012 8:55 PM by wombat2007
wombat2007 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Q for all the photobugs that do it for a living.

What is your preferred solution for hosting photos / shoots / events etc.

I've been looking around and the most complete solution which includes

personal branding

e-commerce linkage for stock selling

private / public / non-listed galleries

mobile, social acccess, etc

is SmugMug

can you guys share your recos - I'd like to replace my collections from MobileMe and merge it into a professional portfolio.

Thanks

JJ

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4), 32 GB DDR3, Triple TB Display
  • wombat2007 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

addendum - but all their templates really suck. There are services which are doing 'customized' templates but their pricing and limitation are a bit ridiculous.

ANyone have anything they're really happy with ?

• William Lloyd Level 7 Level 7 (20,980 points)

I'm using SmugMug for that and I'm quite happy with it.

Their default templates may not be all that great but you can customize it as much as you want.

• Kirby Krieger Level 6 Level 6 (12,510 points)

Take a look at Zenfolio.

Also customizable.  I find the UI ... contorted ... but once you have a general sense of what's where, it's easy enough to use.  I chose it because I preferred the look of the final product over the others available at the same price.

• Ernie Stamper Level 8 Level 8 (37,560 points)

I use SmugMug, and use its template.  If I were doing it over, I would consider letting SmugMug host my own domain to show photos, but with over a hundred galleries presently, it does not make sense for me to start over.

But I think customizing in general, and especially with your own domain hosted by them, should provide good results.

SmugMug was a lot better for me than MobileMe, btw, due to its working well with various operating systems, monitor sizes and even iOS devices.

Ernie

• wombat2007 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

thanks guys

I'm really reticent to get pulled into the HTML/CSS world again - arghh. I've already done this a few times with other programs and all the affiliates are charging ridculous prices for almost a peice of javascript.

I've gone all around the horn and I'm really not impressed with anyone. I might even use wordpress and pay a developer to snazz up the CSS.

I'm not sold that paying the extra cash to even have e-commerce enabled is worth it. Can anyone speak to whether they have sold anything off stock or prints to make it worthwhile ?

I'm thinking of just having my visual site up on Wpress for hiring and delivering everything off Picasa.

Zenfolio I am looking at but the pricepoint again, is really crazy for what they offer.