here are some pics,
i get this when i turn on the monitor.
i think this is a vga that hooks up to the monitor.
this is an adapter that i use to run my hdmi cord to tv.
there are 2 different monitor hook ups on the back of my mac mini. im not fluent on the terminology. they are between the firewire and usb hook ups.
thank you for any help!
I believe only the Mini Display Adapter/Thunderbolt port supprts VGA, (analog), with the adapter, but not the HDMI adapter you have...
HDMI port Use the HDMI port to connect a compatible HDMI display or DVI display using the included HDMI to DVI adapter. Use extended desktop or video mirroring mode up to 1920 by 1200 pixels through this port. Thunderbolt port
Mac mini (Mid 2011) has a Thunderbolt port that supports:
- Mini DisplayPort output using a Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort cable (optional)
- DVI output using a Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter (optional)
- VGA output using a Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter (optional)
- Dual-Link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter. Supports 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Display (optional)
- HDMI audio and video output using a third-party Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter
Actually BDAqua has looked at the wrong model of Mac mini, the model of Mac mini you have does not have a Thunderbolt interface it has a Mini Displayport and a Mini DVI. You are currently using a Mini Displayport to HDMI adaptor.
You should be able to use a Mini DVI to VGA adaptor such as this http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9320G/A
Alternatively, you could use a Mini DVI to HDMI adaptor such as this http://ukhdmi.com/Mini-DVI-to-HDMI-Adapter_QQ101738 along with a Mini Displayport to VGA adaptor such as this http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB572Z/A
I believe your Mac mini is a Late 2009 model and the correct video specs would be as follows
Graphics and video support
- NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory3
- Extended desktop and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports up to 1920 by 1200 pixels on a DVI or VGA display; up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on a dual-link DVI display using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (sold separately)
- Mini-DVI port
- DVI output using Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter (included)
- VGA output using Mini-DVI to VGA Adapter (sold separately)
- Mini DisplayPort output
The webpage for the full specs are here http://support.apple.com/kb/SP577