Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm a Graphic Design student

I'm a graphic design student and I wondered whether an iPad would be useful/helpful? Also, can you use photoshop on it? I have long train journeys to and from college and so thought an iPad would be easy to commute with.

iPad

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 6:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 7:52 AM

The iPad can be useful for quick sketching of ideas, presentations, and that sort of thing, but I would not consider it a replacement for a computer able to run full, complex graphic design applications such as Photoshop (the full version of which will not run on an iPad). You really will need a full computer to work with, though in at least some cases you might be able to carry just the iPad; that depends on your classes and what you need to do that day, though.

The MacBook Air and the new MacBook Pro, while not as light and compact as an iPad, are pretty easy to carry (though not as convenient to use on a train since they have to be opened), so I'd suggest you consider one of those to start.

Regards.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2012 7:52 AM in response to jessbird

The iPad can be useful for quick sketching of ideas, presentations, and that sort of thing, but I would not consider it a replacement for a computer able to run full, complex graphic design applications such as Photoshop (the full version of which will not run on an iPad). You really will need a full computer to work with, though in at least some cases you might be able to carry just the iPad; that depends on your classes and what you need to do that day, though.

The MacBook Air and the new MacBook Pro, while not as light and compact as an iPad, are pretty easy to carry (though not as convenient to use on a train since they have to be opened), so I'd suggest you consider one of those to start.

Regards.

I'm a Graphic Design student

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.