Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes library on external hard rive, move from macbook to macbook

I have always had my iTunes media folder location (iTunes library) on an external hardrive. I have now moved from an old MacBook Pro to a new i7 MacBook Pro. I did not use the migration assistant to move my user files and user identity. My old MacBook Pro was running MacOS 10.6.8 with iTunes 10.6 . iTunes was also syncronizing an iPod touch, iPhone, iPad and Apple TV (old with hard disk inside). All of the music files, as well as the sync files for the iPod, iPhone and iPad are in the music folder (iTunes media folder) on the external hard drive. How can I have iTunes recognize the external hard drive as the music/sync location? On the new computer I have already changed the iTunes media folder location to the external hard drive (iTunes, Preferences, Advance), but iTunes does not recognize it and does not show any of the information (music, apps, etc...) present on the external drive iTunes media folder. I was going to completely replace the iTunes folder on the username/music folder of my new MacBook Pro i7 with the old iTunes folder from the old MacBook Pro (same location username/music), but I wanted to consult the Community before I made a big mistake. Thanks for any help you can shed.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4), i7

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 6:40 AM

8 replies

Aug 14, 2012 6:11 AM in response to erict43

I am sorry, I should have said in my explanation that iTunes on the new computer does not recognize the music folder I have in the external drive as a proper iTunes media folder. In other words, I had already tried the "option-Open" iTunes and I had chosen the external drive media folder but iTunes did not accept that as a proper media folder. Yesterday night, I made sure that the old/previous MacBook Pro did access the external drive as the Media folder, which it did. I also updated some iPhone/iPad apps and the files mentioned in various articles in the communities which are related to how iTunes stores its information (user/username/music/iTunes/ with endingings ".itl" and ".xml") were all updated, as well as the Media folder (on the external drive) where the apps are stored. So, iTunes on the previous/old computer perfectly accesses the actual music, apps, podcasts, etc... files on the Media folder in the external hard drive, while the iTunes music folder in the username address is properly updated. The version of iTunes in the old computer is the same as that in the new computer (I wrote 10.6, but it really is 10.6.3). The only other solution I have not tried is to copy the old computer iTunes folder (in the username address) and paste it in the proper location of the new computer, then choose the "option-Open" iTunes solution and try to choose the external hard drive Media folder. But, as I said in my original question, I am hesitant to do that because I don't want to loose all of my organized playlists if I make a mistake. Thanks again for your help.

iTunes library on external hard rive, move from macbook to macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.