Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My ISP says they do not support Outlook Express but i do not know my very old passwords to set up new e mail accounts on my IMac. Who knows my old passwords or how to i get them. My ISP said i need to ask Apple or Outlook?

I have a very old computer that i am changing to an IMac. I want to set up my e mail accounts but my ISP says they can not help. The old outlook passwords probably came several ISP before so i have no idea. How do i find the passwords or how do i create new e mail accounts without the old outlook passwords? If my ISP does not set passwords who does? The passwords on my outlook accounts are just dots ..........I am not sure who to contact or where to go to find out my old outlook express passwords. Many thanks for any help.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 9:38 AM

5 replies

Aug 13, 2012 12:56 PM in response to Allan Jones

Hi

Its on a PC. I have just ordered the IMac.

The PC has Windows XP and i am using Outlook express 6.

I am not very good on the tech stuff. The way my mail is set up it comes into my ISP then is forwarded to my Outlook. If i log onto my ISP web site i can see my mail but i like (Liked!!) using outlook.

If i go to accounts / properties etc i can see everything and understand about POP3 and SMTP but its the password. The passwords could even be more than 6 or 7 years old. Until now i did not have any reason to set up new e mail accounts. The passwords are just dots. The question is how do i find the passwords or how can i set up new e mail accounts in outlook without the original passwords? My local ISP says contact outlook or Apple. Can i set Apple Mail on my new Mac and forget about Outlook? I have just had a very quick look at an Apple Tutorial and it talks about passwords. Can / do Apple give me this password or are we back to these outlook ones i do not know?

I hope i am making sense. Sorry if i am being stupid!!!

Aug 13, 2012 2:18 PM in response to Garyt123456

If the old computer were a Mac, there is a way to retrieve lost passwords other than your admin password. Not sure where it is stored in XP. Apple will not be able to help you find a password stored in a Win computer. I would think a local PC tech could probably help you more.

Once you recover the password and can open Outlook Express, you can export the Outlook database in a form that can be later imported into Apple Mail.

Outlook express or Mac has not been available since Mac OX 10 evolved in 2000. If you buy MicroSoft Office:Mac 2011 and get the business version, it will have Outlok (not express). The Sudent/Hone Edition does not get yo uOutlook. Most people use Apple Mail.

My ISP says they do not support Outlook Express but i do not know my very old passwords to set up new e mail accounts on my IMac. Who knows my old passwords or how to i get them. My ISP said i need to ask Apple or Outlook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.