Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Displays preferences don't stick for monitor arrangement after upgrading

I have three monitors on a MacPro... one is a TV on the wall, two are late-model Apple displays on my desk.

I have never had a problem with the OS remembering the arrangement of these three monitors, but ever since upgrading to Mountain Lion, the two monitors on my desk are constantly getting switched up after each restart... every time I restart my mac, I inevitably have to rearrange the desktop monitors to the correct position and move the menu-bar to the correct location.

This is exacerbated by the fact that the third monitor sometimes is/isn't switched on. Before Mountain Lion, it didn't matter if the third monitor was on -- I could turn it on/off at any point with the mac turned on or off... and my monitor positions were always preserved. But now, I am constantly having to rearrange the monitors, sometimes with the third one on/off -- and reset the monitor arrangement from scratch, almost on a daily basis.

Any ideas out there why my arrangement prefs won't stick?

Thanks in advance.

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 10:13 AM

18 replies

Aug 14, 2012 10:16 AM in response to mende1

Thanks, Mende1... I've been on these forums for years, but finally just registered.

Unfortunately, zapping my PRAM and other resets didn't help... I just restarted and not only were my monitors rearranged, by my third monitor lost it's Desktop Picture settings and I had to reconfigure everything all over again.

None of this was an issue until I upgraded to Mountain Lion... I've had this configuration for 2.5 years and the Monitor arrangement/prefs has always been flawless... until now.

Any specific input on the issue would be much appreciated.

Jan 3, 2013 7:10 PM in response to mikeyknob

Here is a reply I posted about Dual Monitor problems on another thread, whereby Mountain Lion forgets the arrangment of the monitors, I wonder if a similar approach may work with your particular case?

🙂 Possible Solution.... needs testing, but initial trial has been successful. Does this work for anyone else?

There are two .plist files I have identified which record the screen arrangement:

1. /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist (top level library, not user library)
  2. ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.windowserver.FE******-****-****-****-**********2E.plist

(user library, where *** are unique code) I think the first drives the system arrangment (e.g., login window at startup etc), and the second is a user's own setup.

1. I modified the screen and menu arrangement through System Preferences, which modified file (1).
  2. Using a text editor I copied and pasted everything into a new blank document and saved as com.apple.windowserver.plist

then duplicated the file and named it as per file (2). *even though there were some minor differences.

3. I backed up and deleted the windowserver plists from both the system and user preference (ByHost) folders, including the lockfiles.
  4. Moved my new documents into their respective folders and rebooted... windows appeared where they were supposed to. (I should mention that I moved the screen and menu arrangement back to the 'wrong' way first, which showed me that the files had indeed altered the arrangement).

The question is - will this now hold?

Perhaps locking the file / changing the permissions to prevent the system updating it might help IF the problem reoccurs?

Mar 11, 2013 6:41 PM in response to mikeyknob

Same problem here. I have a mini 2012 with 2 HDMI connected, one directly one via thunderbolt daisychain to a Drobo. Both HDMI go to a Denon AVR. Almost everytime i tun on the AVR, the settings get mixed up. Either the resolution goes away, from "Scaled" to "Best for display", the main and the secondary displays get swaped, sometime the "mirroring" is turned on..... I hope apple will release some sort of fix soon.... This is VERY annoying. Ya, the days when it "just worked" are long gone.... sad.....

Jun 19, 2013 7:30 AM in response to mikeyknob

I had this problem and fixed it when I realized that it matters into which thunderbolt port you plug in your external monitor. I bring my laptop around from home to work with different external displays at each location, and if I switch which port I plug a display into, OSX tends to forget the settings I had the last time I plugged it in, but if I always plug it into the same thunderbolt port this problem goes away.

Hope that helps someone.

Dec 14, 2013 11:40 AM in response to mikeyknob

I reported this problem to the Mac team when we first upgraded to OS 10.8 and they said they would report it up the chain. That is over 6 months ago and still no solution. However, tech support did find a little program called DIM 2.0.2 by G.J. Parker.

You have to remember to "Save Screen Positions" occassionaly or before you reboot. Most of the time I forget and I only have to move 5 folders/files. But I have 130 on my desktop most of the time, so this has been a real good fix for now. I hope that the Mac Support will fix this though. It is a real pain.

I have 3 monitors plugged into 2 video cards. Hopefully they will fix it..

Gary

Jan 20, 2014 4:40 AM in response to garyleif

Do you power on the monitor first before you connect your Mac or after?

I found this from another thread: (so I left a feedback at apple.com/feedback)

john199527

Hello everyone,

While I fear everyone may have moved on to the ten grand can by this point, I am still trying to get this issue with the older Mac Pro resolved. I have some exciting news for you all!

About a week ago, I had had enough, so I unplugged my Mac Pro, and carried it 10 blocks down to the Apple Store in Charleston, SC, where I was graciously greeted by the genius team whom I had previously spoke to about the problem. We did some testing in the store and were in fact able to replicate the problem. The genius spent some time looking through Apple's logs of cases and support documentation, but was unable to find anything relating to this issue. The next step he then told me, was to escalate the issue to the engineering department. I was told I would hear a response back in about a week. To my amazement, it was less than 48 hours later. I got a call from the same guy at the local Apple store. He told me that he spoke to the engineering team and said this, "this is a software or firmware bug that has recently been brought to light. The issue is related to the order in which the displays are powered on/brought out of sleep." I was told the best thing for me to do next, was to head over to apple.com/feedback and fill out a software bug feature request. I did so, and I would suggest that all of you, still have this issue do the same as well!

I will certainly keep you all informed of any further developments.

-John

Displays preferences don't stick for monitor arrangement after upgrading

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.