Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

.MTS converter to Apple Prores HQ

Could anyone be kind enough to tell me if there is a free software out there that would allow me to decode .MTS files to Apple Prores HQ, just so I could work with it on FCPX, losing little, if any, of its quality?

I am using a Sony DSC-HX30V and shoot all my new videos in 1080p at 50ftp. My SDHD card has been formatted using this very same camera. I am using Final Cut Pro X, version 10.0.5 and log and transfer still doesn't not seem to do the tricky for this camera as of now. Can't even find the option to be quite frank. Even if I use the camera to import the files, it just doesn't show anything, nor does it recognize my saved folders on my hard drive.

Have found a neat software called Brorsoft MTS Converter, it does the job but unless you upgrade it (and pay!) it leaves a watermark in the middle of the video every time you do so.

So, after paying for a Macbook Pro, FCPX and a expensive point-and-shoot camera, all I wouldn't want to do right now is to pay any extra for a considerably easy task to get done.

I appreciate your help and your time to answer me. Any other better solution and advices will be welcomed.

Thank you!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion, Unibody, early 2009, intel.

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 10:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2012 5:48 AM

Nevermind people.

Turns out there is quite a lag between FCPX and the camera I am using for whatever reason. Nonetheless, should you experience the same problem, update Final Cut Pro X to 10.0.4 or above, bring importing window by pressing CMD + I and wait for you camera to be recognized and click import. Simple as that! No need for addicional softwares in my case. (Sony doesn't seem to care much about Mac users anyway)

Importing is extremely fast though.

Tip: the MTS Converter is still a good option, it will let careless people (like me!) decode single .mts files to Apple Prores XXX regardless. FCPX will only let you do this if you still have the video(s) within your camera or by connecting a usb card reader into your computer with all the aggregated files in the video folder.

Therefore, in the future, should you be crying for memory space on you camera's memory card, always keep ALL the contents of your camera in your HDD, not just the .mts files. And lastly, but not least, it is recommended you format your memory card within the camera you are using.

Reminder: 4 minutes worth of full resolution AVCHD video (around 250MB) converted to Apple Prores HQ, became a 13GB file!

So be aware, resolution comes at a price. At least until you shrink it back on to the final format of your interest in.

Best regards.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2012 5:48 AM in response to brunoturin

Nevermind people.

Turns out there is quite a lag between FCPX and the camera I am using for whatever reason. Nonetheless, should you experience the same problem, update Final Cut Pro X to 10.0.4 or above, bring importing window by pressing CMD + I and wait for you camera to be recognized and click import. Simple as that! No need for addicional softwares in my case. (Sony doesn't seem to care much about Mac users anyway)

Importing is extremely fast though.

Tip: the MTS Converter is still a good option, it will let careless people (like me!) decode single .mts files to Apple Prores XXX regardless. FCPX will only let you do this if you still have the video(s) within your camera or by connecting a usb card reader into your computer with all the aggregated files in the video folder.

Therefore, in the future, should you be crying for memory space on you camera's memory card, always keep ALL the contents of your camera in your HDD, not just the .mts files. And lastly, but not least, it is recommended you format your memory card within the camera you are using.

Reminder: 4 minutes worth of full resolution AVCHD video (around 250MB) converted to Apple Prores HQ, became a 13GB file!

So be aware, resolution comes at a price. At least until you shrink it back on to the final format of your interest in.

Best regards.

.MTS converter to Apple Prores HQ

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.