Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does my MacBook Pro have USB 3.0?

I ordered a new MacBook Pro this month. I got the non-Retina display one (it only matters to me for phones and tablets), with the best processor, RAM, and memory. I also ordered it just before Mountain Lion was released as a digital download. Does this mean my new Macbook (without the Retina display) has the new USB 3.0 ports that Apple references in their WWDC keynote? I'm cool if I don't actually have them built in and all but I'm still wondering whether I do or not. Thanks

iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi, iOS 5.1

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 11:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2013 8:57 AM

If you are ever curious about what your device can do you can always try clicking:

1. The Apple logo in the top left

2. About This Mac

3. System Report

In this particular case you would then click on USB.

17 replies

Oct 22, 2013 8:53 AM in response to infiniteskillz

on my Mac at work, i'm running OS 10.6.8. i would upload a screen snapshot, but this feature is apparently not working here... but here's the data which is given in System Profiler:

USB High-Speed Bus:

Host Controller Location: Built-in USB

Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBEHCI

PCI Device ID: 0x3a3c

PCI Revision ID: 0x0000

PCI Vendor ID: 0x8086

Bus Number: 0xfa

and the second one...

USB High-Speed Bus:

Host Controller Location: Built-in USB

Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBEHCI

PCI Device ID: 0x3a3a

PCI Revision ID: 0x0000

PCI Vendor ID: 0x8086

Bus Number: 0xfd

please explain to "the rest of us" how we are supposed to know whether this is a USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 from this data?

— — —

AH HA! i found another listing labeled "USB Bus", with "Hub" under it which when selected says:

Hub:

Product ID: 0x0001

Vendor ID: 0x089d (Icron Technologies Corporation)

Version: 1.25

Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec

Location ID: 0x3d100000 / 2

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 0

so it looks like this 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Mac only has a USB 2.0... GEEZE! looks like Apple was a bit late with its implementation of USB 2.0, seeing how the specs for it were released in April of 2000 — this Mac was released in 2006!

don't get me wrong, i love Mac's as opposed to ANY other lame PC running Windows, but i wish Apple would incorporate new technology such as this at a faster rate than it often does!

Dec 11, 2013 6:05 AM in response to DontBeARichard

I agree - why reply at all if you can't be polite. It's not like it's your job and you have to reply or anything. In fact if it was your job you would have to be polite. If you are doing it out of generosity and friendliness you would be polite. It's like some people just like to give the inexperienced or someone who they feel should have used another form of inquiry before Apple forums a slap in the face.

Jan 7, 2015 12:14 PM in response to infinityBBC

Apple included a USB 1.2 hub in many earlier MacBook and MacBook Pro models, to attach the internal keyboard and trackpad to. In those days, the USB 1.x controller chips were probably cheaper than the USB 2.0 chips, and you didn't really need more speed for a keyboard and mouse. Also know that some of the original USB 2.0 chipsets were quite buggy, so avoiding the cheap ones was looking out for the users.

Does my MacBook Pro have USB 3.0?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.