Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it legal to install Mac OS onto a PC computer?

PC-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 12:06 PM

20 replies

Apr 10, 2017 4:19 PM in response to SpeedStriker243

Hi,

In response to your response to 'Chrestine', I would have to agree with you that it is FAR better to install Windows on a MAC, than try to put Mac OS on a Windows PC. I can't imagine WHY yiu would even want to try to put Mac on PC anyway???

I am also sure you could not even get a 'LEGAL copy of MAC OS' without buying a Mac anyway, either now in 2017 or at any time previously.

So to use (a retail boxed copy NOT OEM copy of) WINDOWS AND MAC on the same machine I am sure you would need a very FAST MAC with much RAM, and MUCH Storage, as well as also needing 'Parallels' or 'BOOT CAMP' to get Windows to work on a Mac, before you even get to MS Office.

Perhaps it could be done more economically if you had a 'cheap pc' AND a 'cheapish' Mac (if there is such a thing), but not by much.

My brother who is MD of his company is now on his second large screen iMac (at home), and he prefers to use Windows OS & MS OFFICE for work at home (he says MS 'windows' and MS 'office' works better that way). He also uses Macbook Pro & iPad for similar 'work' reasons, but he has a LOT more money than I do.

I just use a 'cheaper' Mac & iOS devices.

After 12 years of very much 'Windows related pain & frustration', I will NEVER use Windows again, if I can help it.

Expensive whichever way you look at it.

Regards to all

Bob

Aug 13, 2012 12:46 PM in response to Chrestine

Ergonomics of a Windows PC laptop with numeric keypad are awful. The keyboard and trackpad are off-center, thus screwing up normal hand position and/or screen viewing angle.

If the only thing keeping you away is the lack of a numeric keypad, you can get a separate Bluetooth number pad that will work with a Mac, like one of these:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H4606ZM/A/lmp-bluetooth-keypad

http://www.smklink.com/index.php?id=Nzcy

Aug 13, 2012 1:44 PM in response to Chrestine

I recommend the Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 key board for use with OS X. Been using one for years. They're durable and being wired, require no batteries. It comes with the necessary OS X software to map the keys for normal Mac positions. So the left Windows key becomes Option, and the left Alt key becomes Command. You can also map the Alt and Program keys to the right of the spacebar so they act as Command and Option. You can always download the latest drivers under the same link under the Support tab.

After getting used to an ergonomic keyboard a long time ago, I can't stand any straight keyboard.

There are a few goofy thing about using one.

1) During startup or a restart, the kext drivers of course aren't loaded yet, so they keys are mapped as a PC. Instead of holding down what would be the Mac's Option key (Windows key on the 4000) for an Option key boot where you select what drive you want to startup to, you hold down either Alt key.

2) You can't Option+eject a second optical drive on a Mac Pro. It just won't do it. You have to go to the menu bar at the top right.

3) There also is no key initially assigned for Eject. You have to give up one of the other keys. I reassign the audio Pause/Play button for Eject since I would never normally use it otherwise.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.