Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to access the screen (headless operation) of a machine being used as a Mac OS X (ML) Server?

I'm using ML OS X Server and so far have enabled only FIle Sharing. Is there a way to share a screen with the Mac Mini (server host) while in Server operation? What section(s) need to be enabled to do this? I can access the Server remotely using the Server app, but as yet have not configured the web app to manage the server. Even if I do, this will not allow me to run an app as I could while at the server machine's screen, keyboard and mouse. My goal to operate this machine almost full time headlessly.

Thanks!!

Henry

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion, (3,1) 3GB RAM, 2GHz, C2D, GigE LAN

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 11:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 12:25 PM

If the machine is set up with an ip address and either screen sharing or remote management is enables in the sharing portion of system preferences, you'll have no problem accessing it via Apple Remote Desktop or by going into finder and pressing cmd + K to connect to a server (use vnc://server.example.com as the input).

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2012 12:25 PM in response to HenryS

If the machine is set up with an ip address and either screen sharing or remote management is enables in the sharing portion of system preferences, you'll have no problem accessing it via Apple Remote Desktop or by going into finder and pressing cmd + K to connect to a server (use vnc://server.example.com as the input).

Aug 13, 2012 12:36 PM in response to Mark23

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the info. I shall try that. It is set up now (default) with Remote Management. Is Screen Sharing better (Remote Management would have to be turned off and was the default setup). Does turning off Remote Management defeat the use of a local Server app via LAN?

ARD seems too expensive to use for one machine local connection. Is there an evaluation copy of ARD to try? Using Server to get around the personal file sharing limits.

I hear that using vnc://server.xxx.xxx is a PITA. Is there any documentation on it? Can I see my machine, sharing the display with either?

Aug 27, 2012 6:32 AM in response to Mark23

Mark23 wrote:

Do you mean you can't see the server in the Finder sidebar?

Did you actually try the vnc://<server's ip> option?

Having ARD is a big help for me.

Isn't this the same as Screen Sharing? In the case of a shared connection (Screen Sharing) if the video port is disabled, e.g., by the disconnect of the display, then the display cannot be seen. Is the vnc:// mode somehow different?

Aug 27, 2012 7:35 AM in response to HenryS

You can use screen sharing even if the Mac is headless; it's been that way for awhile now. You probably have to go back to the G3s to find Macs couldn't run headless or that you'd have to trick. I used my old G4 MDD headless this weekend; I used screen sharing and remote desktop from a 2011 Mini and 2011 MBP. I sometimes to do it with my mini Server, when I use the 23" LCD with my MBP, leaving the Server headless.

Aug 27, 2012 8:06 AM in response to Eric.

Eric. wrote:

You can use screen sharing even if the Mac is headless; it's been that way for awhile now. You probably have to go back to the G3s to find Macs couldn't run headless or that you'd have to trick. I used my old G4 MDD headless this weekend; I used screen sharing and remote desktop from a 2011 Mini and 2011 MBP. I sometimes to do it with my mini Server, when I use the 23" LCD with my MBP, leaving the Server headless.

Hmm... I noticed this as a problem when I had the Mini's combo video (VGA) output adapter plugged in to its VGA screen.

When the monitor power was lost (due to it's plug being on an unprotected plug and the power being out) AND while display still connected without a working power source, lost the remote display, too. In that case, the Screen Sharing wouldn't work from a remote computer on the local network. Did not try unplugging the connection completely (suppose that rebooting might be necessary to see the headless mode?). Mention it here because you might also want to be aware of that situation for the future...

Moving the plug-in to protected power for the monitor (even if off) did cure the problem and easier for me too. Checked with screen share (vnc:// connection seems to behave the same). We're probably doing the same thing, or pretty close to it. Seems I just have to completely detach the screen connection to effectively use the "headless' mode, which I didn't do. Note the specs of my Mini as below to compare with yours (it's not a new version 'server' model).

Is there a way to access the screen (headless operation) of a machine being used as a Mac OS X (ML) Server?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.