Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contact Addresses With Two Lines

I have numerous addresses in my Contact Address Book that have two lines in the street address. When entering new people within my Address Book, I can type the first address line, hit return, and then type a second address line . . . all's fine.

But I also add new contacts to my Address Book from my database. Prior to Mountain Lion, I would import my contacts that had a two line street address as though it was one line, placing the characters \n where the line break was to appear (so the import would initially look like this: 2112 River Oaks Court\nBuilding 3, Suite 114 I could then export my entire address book as a vCard, re-import the whole thing, and Address Book would automatically replace the \n with a line break. So my final address in Address Book would appear like this (as though I typed it in manually using a return):

2112 River Oaks Court

Building 3, Suite 114

Something has changed in Mountain Lion. When I export all my addresses as a vCard, reimport them, the \n is not triggering a line break. The first line of my address still looks like this: 2112 River Oaks Court\nBuilding 3, Suite 114

Is there another set of characters that will trigger a line break when importing a vCard?

Steve

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 12:34 PM

1 reply

Mar 5, 2014 6:12 AM in response to Steve Dutton

When I try to enter addresses copied from a document, I can copy the whole address into a new contact in the notes field. Then I can cut and paste each line into its correct field. But I cannot enter a two-line street address with a comma between the lines. Contacts just pastes the first line. To paste a two-line street address into that field, I have to copy and paste the first line, hit return, then copy and paste the second line. How hard would it be for Apple to fix something so basic?

Contact Addresses With Two Lines

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.