Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is meant by ''Product replacement pending''? - Apple Repair iPad 2

Sent in my iPad to Apple for repair because of a faulty home button. But customer service indicated that I would receive a totally new unit and that my iPad would not be repaired, but replaced with a new one.

But then all emails from Apple updating me on the progress indicate that my iPad will be repaired.

Today, my iPad went for a 'Service' and the Service has been complete. The status now says ''Product replacement pending''

I have no clue about Apple Repair because I've never used this service before. I'm not farmiliar with how it operates.

Can anyone explain?

Product replacement pending sounds to me like they have Serviced y iPad and now they are going to replace it?

HELP!

iPad 2, iOS 5.1

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 6:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 7:04 PM

you're getting a replacement in the mail. Apple doesn't normally replace a malfunctioning one with a new one, but rather with a refurbished one. And that sounds like what they're going to do.

14 replies

Aug 13, 2012 8:07 PM in response to kcullen

I'm in Ireland. I called apple support and explained my problem. They then sent me a box to put my iPad in along with a UPS shipping label. The UPS courier then collected it from my house destined for England. Very simple process.

I just hope that the iPad I receive in return is up to standard as some refurbs have minor problems.

Aug 13, 2012 9:07 PM in response to JackDooner

Hi Jack,

Our iPad that we bought before visiting your wonderful country in May was a refurb. Works great. Refurb iPads, according to Apple get a new case, glass, and battery. We saved quite a bit.

The iMac I'm typing from, the MacBook Pro next to it, and the eMac at my wife's workstation behind me were all Apple-direct refurbs. Our first refurb, a Beige G3 minitower bought in 1998, is still working prefectly although pretty much retired to light duty. My son has a refurb iMac and, until he drowned it this week, an iPod Touch.

All these have given superb service and not one arrived looking like anything other than brand new. I'm sold on them, and my bank account appreciates the savings.

Allan

Aug 14, 2012 4:16 AM in response to AppleTree2012

i was told by genius bar that they don't provide refurbished ones but a good as new device(new manufatured device) with a new serial number as well...

which is which?

All I ever hear is that they give you refurbs. I've never experienced it myself. the one time I needed to exchange my iPad I went back to Best Buy - where I bought it - and they swapped out my broken one for a new one off the shelf.

What I have heard about refurbs is, when malfunctioning ones are sent in, they are fixed, the 'bad' parts replaced an the device given a thorough going over. They are basically remanufacturered, and then are held for those that need replacements.

When you get your replacement, I believe it comes with a 90 day warranty. If it doesn't meet your expectations or has issues, you have 90 days to deal with that.

Aug 14, 2012 4:38 AM in response to Allan Jones

Hi Allan, I'm glad you enjoyed your time here! :)

The iPad which I have sent back to apple for repair is in fact a refurb which I purchased in late march just after the release of the 3rd gen iPad. It was €80 cheaper than a new iPad 2, and €180 cheaper than 'The new iPad' so prove was deffinitely a pull factor for me also.

Refurbs are brilliant, but sometimes there are problems. Just like my iPad 2 now which had to be sent back. My girlfriend also bought an iPad 2 (refurb) and when it arrived there was minor screen bleeding which was unfortunate. But having said that, she also purchased a refurbished 2011 iMac at a huge saving and there has been no problem.

I've heard so many people saying that it's really hit and miss with refurbs and that, in my experience, is somewhat true.

This is why I'm slightly concerned about what I will receive as a replacement.

Thanks for your input Allan,

Jack.

Aug 17, 2012 9:54 AM in response to JackDooner

Just a little update on my iPad repair...

i still haven't received a new replacment. I've called Apple 3 times and it seems that I have more information than them regarding the reapir. They have the iPad 5 working days now and Still have not shipped a replacement.

Kinda poor service, but it was expected....

I don't see why there is a delay. All they have to do is ship me a new one.

Thanks all. Jack.

What is meant by ''Product replacement pending''? - Apple Repair iPad 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.