Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X Mountain Lion incompatible with Asus RT N66U router?

I've been using my early 2009 Macbook Pro with OS X Lion on my Asus RT N66U router for about a month now and have had no problems.

After upgrading to OSX Mountain Lion, I began getting timeouts on a number of websites, including:

* Facebook

* Hulu

* Youtube

* discussions.apple.com

On most of these sites I can usually access the front page after clearing the browser cache, but whenever I try any link from the main page (e.g. try to navigate to my profile in FB) the browser hangs until it times out.

This happens across all browsers. I tried Chrome, Safari, FIrefox, and Opera.

It also occurs via wireless and wired connections to the router.

I also have a Windows 7 desktop in the house, so I tried that with the same wireless network and all the websites worked fine. I had my girlfriend try connecting with her Macbook pro and Lion, and she was also able to access all those sites.

Thinking there was a problem with my Mountain Lion upgrade, I decided to try a different router to be sure. I configured my old TIme Capsule in place of the N66U and with that, Mountain Lion was working like a charm. Every one of the websites above was working fine.

I'm fresh out of ideas. I'm thinking either:

1. There is some default configuration in the N66U that Mountain Lion doesn't like.

2. Something *did* go wrong with my upgrade, but the problem only manifests itself with the N66U router.

3. There's some funamental incompatibility with Mountain Lion and the N66U

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2008), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 9:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 10:04 PM

Well, I promise I searched, but as soon as I posted, the "More Like This" pane to the right showed a discussion that had the answer:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4141495?answerId=19113230022#19113230022

Had to change the MTU to 1300.

Anyone know why this is necessary with Mountain Lion?

1 reply

OS X Mountain Lion incompatible with Asus RT N66U router?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.