Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I lost my parental control password

Help. I set up parental controls on my MacBook just to see how they worked. But once I created a new administrator and password for the controls, I couldn't unlock anything. Apparently I almost immediately forgot the password. Now I am nowmessentially locked out of the Internet and I can't even access the Mac website because of the restrictions. How do I delete the parental restriction lock if I can't remember the password? I feel like an idiot.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Aug 14, 2012 12:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2012 8:18 PM

Did you also delete the old administrator acount?

If not, log in to that account and you should be able to reset the Parental controls from there.

The password to unlock Parental Control is the one you use as your admin login. If your kids learn it they can change anything! :-)

Good luck

P.S. if you can't even access the Mac website how did you post this?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2012 8:18 PM in response to trmsomasf

Did you also delete the old administrator acount?

If not, log in to that account and you should be able to reset the Parental controls from there.

The password to unlock Parental Control is the one you use as your admin login. If your kids learn it they can change anything! :-)

Good luck

P.S. if you can't even access the Mac website how did you post this?

Aug 15, 2012 9:33 PM in response to Simon Varnam

Do you know any Mac user that only has one device? I had to access this site with my iPad.

The problem is that when I set up the parental controls I think I accidentally made that test user the administrator so that is why I was stuck, unable to figure out the password. I ended up dumping my hard drive and reloaded Snow Leopard to start all over. That worked.

Aug 15, 2012 10:05 PM in response to trmsomasf

"I think I accidentally made that test user the administrator"

You can have more than one administrator. Unless you remove the previous admin account's rights, they will still be active. Just switch users.
devices

I had to access this site with my iPad.

Lucky you! :-)
I have to drive into town to get some memory so I can upgrade my MacBook to OSX 10.6.

500MB is not enough. ;-(

I lost my parental control password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.