Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flashback attacking 10.5.8?!

Does that disabling Java thing apply to OS 10.5.8? Because today my password got hacked, my website and cpanel destroyed, so it looks like the thing is attacking below 10.6

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Aug 14, 2012 4:02 AM

6 replies

Aug 14, 2012 2:17 PM in response to diannetrussell

diannetrussell wrote:

Does that disabling Java thing apply to OS 10.5.8? Because today my password got hacked, my website and cpanel destroyed, so it looks like the thing is attacking below 10.6

Flashback can infect Intel Macs running 10.5.8 with Java enabled. The only thing it has done to date is to redirect your browser to ad sites. Sounds like you have some other issues.

Aug 14, 2012 11:26 PM in response to diannetrussell

diannetrussell wrote:

My Java had been enabled. So many things to do online require Java enabled.

I find that surprising. I don't think I've run into any user that needed it for more than one or two sites, at most. In my case I haven't found one in over a year. Are you sure you aren't talking about JavaScript? That's a totally different animal and is used by perhaps even the majority of sites.

Aug 14, 2012 11:35 PM in response to diannetrussell

diannetrussell wrote:

Yes I did notice during the last week that my browser was experiencing redirections to ad sites, which had me puzzled.

In that case you should re-run Apple's Flashback Removal Security Update or the one from F-Secure. There haven't been any confirmed infections reported here for several week (months?), so I would be surprised if you are. Let us know if it finds anything.

Flashback attacking 10.5.8?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.