1 Reply Latest reply: Aug 14, 2012 6:46 AM by Bob Timmons
2crazy Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hello,

I received my Airpport Express yesterday and I am really happy with it. While configuring I noticed that I could specify a different SSID for 5Ghz Wi-Fi, which I did. However later I discovered that 2.4 and 5Ghz is available under both SSIDs. I am wondering if this is a bug or I am just misunderstaning the whole purpose of the 5Ghz SSID.

Thanks!

OS X Mountain Lion
  • 1. Re: Separate SSID for 5GHz Network
    Bob Timmons Level 9 Level 9 (78,550 points)

Most users should use the default setting of having both bands use the same SSID, since devices will automatically connect to the best signal quality based on their capabilities and location in relation to the router.

Assigning a separate name to the 5 GHz band is a way to try to "force" a computer to connect to 5 GHz.

This would really only make sense to use if you found, for example that in your normal location for a laptop or desktop, that it could not decide which band to connect to since things were about equal. 

In a case like this, the computer would always connect to 5 GHz since it was "pointed" at that network.

If you ever decide to add another Express to "extend" the network, you must configure both Express devices to have both bands use the same wireless network name, or SSID.