Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion Server will not bind to my active directory

I just got a Mac Mini Server and I am trying to bind it to my AD domain (running off a single Win 2003 R2 server). I have read extensively about the magic triangle and I am basically following the steps to set one up. The guides I have found vary slightly, but they all hit some key steps, the first of which is to bind to the domain. I am currently trying to do this through the directory utility, but i have also tried it through users and groups with the join network button. Either way, I am presented with a very simple screen where I enter the domain, set some advanced options, and hit bind. Then I enter my AD admin name and password and click ok. I am then told after 15 seconds of processing that I am "unable to connect to server". Here are some details:

I have tried changing the advanced options to allow mobile accounts and allow administration. Whether I make these changes or not, I still get the same error. I want them checked, but to simplify testing options, I dont even bother with them any more.

I have made sure the mini is pulling its time from the AD server, that its DNS is set to the AD server.

I have pinged the server both via its IP and its name, both were fine.

The strangest thing is: If I enter my domain name and correct account info it says "unable to connect to server"

If I enter a fake domain it says "Authentication server could not be contacted"

If I enter my domain but a fake account name/password it says "Credentials could not be verified, username or password is invalid"

So I know that it is finding the domain, connecting to the server, and verifying my user name and password, as only when all of these things happen do I get the "unable to connect to server" message. What could possible be blocking the connection?

Any help you could give would be greatly appriciated.

-Rich

Posted on Aug 14, 2012 8:28 AM

1 reply

Lion Server will not bind to my active directory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.