Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unlock iPhone 4 without carrier

Hi everyone! Need your help extremely!

2 years ago, i bought iPhone 4 32 GB in Washington DC for a full price 800$, i bought it without carrier, but it was with at&t sim. I thought it would work in Russia. Because what's the diffrence then between 800$ or 100$ with carrier, when it's both not working outside US.

When AT&T announced official unlock i did everything to reach them but they don't even show you their support number if u have no contract!! Somehow i reached them, but they said that if u have no number or contract we can't help u!! What do I do?

My mother has AT&T contract but it came not with an iPhone, so will it count or not?

I'm working every day till 9 pm so have no time to read all topics here so sorry about cloning themes

iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Aug 14, 2012 10:07 AM

10 replies

Aug 14, 2012 10:45 AM in response to Matin4ik

Here are AT&T's official requirements for unlocking an iPhone:

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB414532

They show that if you do not and never had a contract with them, they will not unlock the iPhone. So if they have refused unlocking, there's nothing you can do. Sell the iPhone to someone in the US who can use it with AT&T and buy an iPhone from an authorized outlet there in Russia.

If I may ask, though, what have you been doing with the iPhone for the past two years if it is locked to AT&T and you never had a contract with them?

Message was edited by: varjak paw

Aug 15, 2012 6:00 AM in response to Matin4ik

Be advised that the previous modifications to change from AT&T

to your local Carrier may have rendered the iPhone unable to be

officially unlocked. In fact, such modifications may at some future

time conflict with software you install or try to upgrade and render

your iPhone inoperative.

Google may provide you some assistance, but the Terms of Use for

this forum prohibit discussion of jailbroken iPhones.

Aug 15, 2012 7:38 AM in response to Matin4ik

Matin4ik wrote:

I jailbroked it and unlocked. But it works awful so i want my phone without jailbreak. That's why I'm seeking opportunity to unlock it. What if I give AT&T my mother's contract number?

AT&T will know that your iPhone isn't on your mother's contract. Attempts to defraud AT&T may result in cancellation of your mother's contract with them, so I would advise against it.

Since AT&T has refused unlocking, there is nothing more you can do. Live with the iPhone as is or sell it and buy another one. There's nothing further anyone here can tell you.

Aug 23, 2012 10:26 PM in response to Matin4ik

I don't understand. If Matin4ik paid full price, the phone should have been factory-unlocked from the start. In that case, he should contact Apple, not AT&T. Or did you buy it in an AT&T store, Matin4ik?

Even in a case like that, you should be able to get someone to straighten it out for you, between Apple and AT&T. I'd find out the name of AT&T's head of customer service, and contact them, if indeed you bought it at an AT&T store.

Aug 24, 2012 5:48 AM in response to daveklingler

Full price does not automatically mean iPhone is unlocked.

iPhones sold without contract are the same price as unlocked

iPhone but are not useable on any wireless carrier. OP said

iPhone came with AT&T sim - he bought iPhone without a contract

but still locked to AT&T. Plus the fact that he had previously

jailbroken the iPhone may prevent a legitimate unlock from

succeeding now. But he still has to go through AT&T to get

the unlock.

Aug 24, 2012 7:26 AM in response to daveklingler

daveklingler wrote:

I don't understand. If Matin4ik paid full price, the phone should have been factory-unlocked from the start.

Apple did not start selling unlocked iPhones in the US until June of 2011. Hence two years ago when the OP says he purchased his iPhone, he had the option only of purchasing an iPhone locked with a contract or locked without a contract.

Unlock iPhone 4 without carrier

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.