Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where does Notes store its data?

Hello,

I accidentally deleted a note from the new Notes app. I am trying to recover it with Carbonite, but I don't know where Notes stores its data. The people at Carbonite don't know, either. They told me to ask here. Does any of you know where Notes stores its data?

Thanks,

Eli

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2008), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 14, 2012 10:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2012 10:10 AM

Notes stores its data in a Core Data database. Specifically all the files under:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes/Data/Library/Notes

There are 2 or 3 files in there called NotesV1.storedataXXX

Where XXX means "more stuff in the file name" :-)

Note this is a database so there is no way to restore a single note at a time. You could restore the whole database, but if you're synching with iCloud, there is the chance that even if you restore it, that it will sync and then get deleted again.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2012 10:10 AM in response to Eli Garfinkel

Notes stores its data in a Core Data database. Specifically all the files under:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes/Data/Library/Notes

There are 2 or 3 files in there called NotesV1.storedataXXX

Where XXX means "more stuff in the file name" :-)

Note this is a database so there is no way to restore a single note at a time. You could restore the whole database, but if you're synching with iCloud, there is the chance that even if you restore it, that it will sync and then get deleted again.

May 5, 2015 5:28 PM in response to idenizen

You are probably looking in the wrong Library folder.

Macintosh HD Root folders

Applications

Library

System

Users > Library <----this is the one you want

Show User's Library

The User's Library folder is hidden by default. To unhide: Select the Finder in the Dock. Under Go in the Menu bar > hold down the Option key and you’ll see the Library.

Finding the User Library Folder

http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/resources/0167/site/chap11.html#FindingtheUserLi braryFolder

May 17, 2015 11:11 PM in response to dianeoforegon

After frustrating 2 hours, and numerous "chances" to buy very expensive recovery software, this thread helped me solve my problem first time, free! Thank you!!

Just to add from my own experience, when you cut from the store data file inside a browser, the easier I found to have it as a usable format was to paste it into a power point slide using "paste special" as "unformated text". Thereafter, it is very easy to copy into a word file (for an easy to find backup), and into a new Note.

Where does Notes store its data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.