Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

dragging an item

In snow leopard I was always able to drag the the content of my audio components folder temporarily to another location.

In Lion and Mountain Lion I can not do this anymore.. I understand that appple made this impossible now?

If someone knows a good workaround or a hidden shotcut .....make me happy and let me knwo.

I need to be able to do this because final cut pro 7 scans all the audio components every time I start it up.

Fcp 7 crashes very often when scanning and validating the plug ins.

I do not need them in fcp because i use logic for audio post production and fcp only for video. So temporaily draggiong the audio component plug ins to another location when starting fcp ha always been s my workaround in snow leopard.

hope it still can be done in mountain lion somehow.......

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 14, 2012 11:25 AM

9 replies

Aug 14, 2012 11:32 AM in response to Jane Snijders

I don't use FCP, and I'm not sure what audio components folder you're referring to, but note that if the difficulty is that it was in the Library folder found in your user folder in Snow Leopard, and that that folder is now missing, it's not really a problem at all. That folder is still there, but invisible, in Lion and ML. Hold down the option key while choosing Library from the Go menu in the Finder and it'll take you right there.

If that's not the problem, forgive the intrusion. 🙂

Aug 14, 2012 11:57 AM in response to Jane Snijders

I was already aware of the possibility to get access to the user library using the option key when in finder chosing "go" in the menu. But the path I mean is macintoshd-library-audio-plugins-components.

Actually I was hoping for a similar hidden keycommand as for the access to the userlibrary ( or a terminal command ) which makes it possible to move an item used in the system ( like in this case the plug ins in the components folder )

thnx for your quick replies btw...hope someone knows a slution to get around this block by apple...

Aug 14, 2012 12:01 PM in response to Jane Snijders

Ahh... well, that folder is not one that the user has write permissions to. I wouldn't recommend changing the permissions, as there's no way to know how that might affect the system. You could create a shell script that would run as root and move those items in or out of the folder, but that wouldn't be an easy undertaking unless you're well-versed in Unix.

Aug 16, 2012 4:09 AM in response to Jane Snijders

After days of searching and experimenting I found the solution to still move items which are used in the system in mountain lion like i was used to do in snow leo.

Since lion apple has hidden this option. I can understand that they prefer to do this because of all the new users that do not have expertise with messing with system items. The genius bar would be very busy them I guess. :-)

hidden solution is:

1.rightclick(shift) on item(s)

2. choose copy

3. place mouse in destination folder

4. right click

5. among others also 'paste' appears

6.click option

et voila: 'move items' appears out of nowhere

mind over matter. problem solved. thanks for you attention

Aug 16, 2012 5:12 AM in response to Jane Snijders

It is implemented in the osx so it is no bug.

But now only available for the users that really want to be able to do this.

Hidden for the average user that could accidentally mess up the system.

Makes sense to me. so many new mac users the last few years.

For pro audio/video users with 20 plus years of experience on a mac this is essential from time to time.

Also for developers.

That is why i also have a mac pro 8core.... To be able to create the mac I want. Install the graphics cards I choose. A mac with 4 x 3TB hd s and 64 gb memory.Connect ffour displays etc....

i ve done this since the jump from os9 to the start of osx . permissions always stayed ok. I ve tested it in logic fcp live renoise etc in mountain lion. no issues with permissions.

think different , don t let others telll you .....etc ...remember?

dragging an item

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.