Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When using Time Machine, do you need an empty hard drive (brand new) in order to back-up your mac?

I tried using my hubby's 3TB HD (which already has stuff on it) but it asks me to erase the data on it and when I hit no, nothing happens. I want to back my stuff up in case something happens but not really sure how the external hard drive works with TM. Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 14, 2012 11:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2012 11:45 AM

The drive doesn't need to be blank but does need to be formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled); the reformatting process is what erases the drive.

(68841)

6 replies

Aug 14, 2012 1:11 PM in response to nimoon2

So, I found a way to partition it without removing data already there. You can go to Disk Utility, find the hard drive you want to partition and click on it, under the tabs there is one for partition (click it), then the "+" sign lets you add a new partition to the hard drive without interrupting the data already there. You can even set the amount you want to partition out of the available free space from your hard drive and name it too. Hope this helps at it helped me!

Aug 14, 2012 1:13 PM in response to nimoon2

So, I found a way to partition it without removing data already there. You can go to Disk Utility, find the hard drive you want to partition and click on it, under the tabs there is one for partition (click it), then the "+" sign lets you add a new partition to the hard drive without interrupting the data already there. You can even set the amount you want to partition out of the available free space from your hard drive and name it too. Hope this helps at it helped me!

When using Time Machine, do you need an empty hard drive (brand new) in order to back-up your mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.