Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why Duplicate Mailboxes in my Sidebar?

I'm using Mail in Lion. The Sidebar shows the MAILBOXES heading and under that Inbox, Sent, Trash, etc. each with all my email accounts. ON MY MAC then has all the folders I created (when I was in Tiger, they came over when I upgraded to Lion). Also is REMINDERS and RSS, which I'd like to get rid of but apparently can't.

Then at the bottom are headings (all uppercase) with each of my mail accounts with subfolders and all the same messages duplicated from the above folders. I don't know if this is a new Lion thing or it's because I switched from a POP to an IMAP gmail account. I'm assuming it's an IMAP thing because my two POP accounts aren't showing there.

How do I get rid of these? Are they necessary? I'm hoping the messages aren't actually duplicated on my harddrive, thereby taking up twice the space. Are these just direct links to the IMAP server?

Any light shed would be appreciated.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4), iLife '08 Alesis IO|14 FW Interface

Posted on Aug 14, 2012 4:24 PM

3 replies

Aug 31, 2012 1:59 AM in response to poflynn

Found an answer to the AOL account problem. The new versions of mail do not have a checkbox for "automatically setup account" so it can not be "unchecked."

What you have to do is hold the OPTION key when creating the account and you can then choose POP or IMAP (or Exchange, etc.) to set up the account.

Why Duplicate Mailboxes in my Sidebar?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.