Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HD swap from PPC G4 tower to iMac PPC G4?

I have an iMac PPC G4 (the original flat panel w/ dome base), and a Power Mac PPC G4 "Digital Audio". These both have their original 'insides'.

My iMac HD has died, it appears, and I want to make one 'puter out of both.
Can I put the HD from the Pwer Mac tower into the iMac?

The HD from the tower is a Maxtor, and the one from the iMac is a Seagate, but they are very close to each other in dimensional size, and only 20 g's dif in HD space. I have looked at them both, and it seems like it should work, but know many of you out there are way more knowledgable than I on stuff like this.
Also, if I do this, will I be able to reload my original iMac discs on it? Would like to still have a computer that can run OS9xx, as a personal preference...

I have a new iMac Intel, but I want to keep the old one running for my kids and older iPods, etc.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Alicia

aliciajens@att.net

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11), G4 "DA" Tower, 733 MHz, 1.5 MB

Posted on Aug 14, 2012 8:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2012 8:23 PM

They use the same type of hard drive, which is IDE/ATA. You need to make sure the jumpers (for the master/slave setting) are set the same way for the replacement as the original. I believe the hard drive is on the same IDE bus as the optical drive, on that iMac. NOTE: You need to refer to the jumper diagram, because not all hard drives use the same jumper placement to mean the same setting.

Also, if it's an early model iMac G4, hard drive capacity above 128GB may not be recognized. Later iMac G4 models can go beyond 128GB. If the replacement drive is under 128GB, you don't have to worry.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2012 8:23 PM in response to aliciajens

They use the same type of hard drive, which is IDE/ATA. You need to make sure the jumpers (for the master/slave setting) are set the same way for the replacement as the original. I believe the hard drive is on the same IDE bus as the optical drive, on that iMac. NOTE: You need to refer to the jumper diagram, because not all hard drives use the same jumper placement to mean the same setting.

Also, if it's an early model iMac G4, hard drive capacity above 128GB may not be recognized. Later iMac G4 models can go beyond 128GB. If the replacement drive is under 128GB, you don't have to worry.

Aug 15, 2012 5:31 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Thanks, so much! I made my post, and went to bed, not thinking anyone would reply so quickly!

Yes, the HD and optical are on 1 tray together with the same ribbon cable connection between them - I am also swapping out the optical, as the old iMac one hasn't worked in awhile.

Where would I find a jumper settings diagram?
And, no worries about the HD capacity, it's only a 60gb.

I am going to try this today, so we'll see what I get!

Again, Thank you!

Alicia

Aug 15, 2012 8:38 AM in response to aliciajens

Hard drives usually have a jumper settings diagram on its label. If it does not, try doing a Google search on the brand and product name (including whatever cryptic combination of letters and numbers it uses). The manufacturer will hopefully have a specs sheet for that drive, with jumper settings.

On some drives, there is a difference between master (with slave drive present) and master (single drive).

Usually, the hard drive is set to master and the optical drive is set to slave, but it may (?) work the other way, if the optical drive does not have a way to change its setting.

Aug 15, 2012 11:20 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Thanks again.
I did check the jumper settings and set them to what they should be, on both the HD and the Optical.
Put the iMac all back together, plug it in, when I turn it on, it doesn't boot up with the regular chime.
Then, diagonally across the screen, from the bottom up, it goes light then back to dark, in kind of like a wave.
Then the screen just stays black.

Any ideas what I did wrong? :/

Aug 15, 2012 11:32 AM in response to aliciajens

I don't have direct experience taking an iMac G4 apart. Take a look at a guide, like this one

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/imac_g4/imacg4_takeapart.html

Maybe that will point to a step that was missed or done incorrectly. The current problem does not sound like it is related to the drives, because you don't even get the startup chime.

Also, you may want to try resetting the iMac's PMU (power management).

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1712

HD swap from PPC G4 tower to iMac PPC G4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.