Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

does find my friends work from an iMac

Hello, can anyone tell if Find my friends app will work from an iMac? I have The latest OS X and was just wondering if it can run this app as well?

Thanks,

ToddZee

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 15, 2012 4:59 AM

6 replies

Aug 30, 2012 2:31 PM in response to ToddZee

I can't understand why Apple could not create an app for mac os x to locate your friends.

It is very important that they keep developing new apps for mac os x.

They need to hire or move people to a new division that check and create this new things because they are very important.

I always carry my iphone with me and I could use it to locate my friends, but why I could not do this with my imac or laptop or anything that uses mac os x.

Aug 30, 2012 2:39 PM in response to rbtwrld

rbtwrld wrote:

I can't understand why Apple could not create an app for mac os x to locate your friends.

It is very important that they keep developing new apps for mac os x.

They need to hire or move people to a new division that check and create this new things because they are very important.

I always carry my iphone with me and I could use it to locate my friends, but why I could not do this with my imac or laptop or anything that uses mac os x.

I find the iMac very difficult to carry around.

May 2, 2013 7:05 AM in response to rbtwrld

The point is well taken... They are pushing hard with iOS feature intergration into OSX... We should be able to track friends and family with a DT version of Find My Friends as we have similar options with iMessage etc... Seems like a no brainer. I imagine they will get to it at some point pending where it lines up on the priority list.

Aug 29, 2015 8:03 PM in response to ToddZee

The issue has nothing to do with the OS, it is a hardware issue: "Find My Friends" works by having the tracked iOS device do 2 things:

- Find its own location using GPS; and

- Reporting this to the tracking device via the Internet.

So an iMac or a MacBook has nothing to report, because it has no GPS device built-in.

Apple's "Find My Friends" only connects devices that use iOS. A more flexible third-party product called Glympse allows any iOS or Android device to send its location to be seen by anything with an internet browser. You can also limit the duration of this tracking behavior. And it's free!

does find my friends work from an iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.