Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Soreness and numbness in fingertips from trackpad

I've been getting sore fingertips and numbness from using my 2010 Macbook Air's trackpad. It has got progressively worse over the 18 months I've owned it. It get's too painful to touch the pad after a few hours.

I press as lightly as possible and switched to tap-to-click a few months ago and, although it hasn't got any worse, it hasn't got better either. It doesn't go away even if I don't use it for days and I'm starting to worry that it is permanent damage.

I am a part-time student so I can't simply stop using it. I am also a builder's labourer so it's not that I have soft hands.

I tend to use it on the sofa, so a mouse doesn't seem to be the answer and also partly defeats the point of having a laptop.

Anyone else have this problem?

MacBook Air (13-inch Late 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 15, 2012 5:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2013 8:40 PM

Just posted this to another forum but I'll post it here as well.

I echo GoodSamritan's suggestions.

I have been having finger tip sensitivity while using the trackpad for about a year. Sometimes it is better sometimes it's worse. I think I've come across multiple contributors:

• ]The coating on the trackpad is wearing off. I believe the coating is probably some sort of low friction substance.
  • My hands get dry in the winter.

Solutions:

• Apply a high quality phone or tablet screen protector on top of your trackpad. I'm using a cheap one right now. A new one is coming in the mail. My fingers did start to hurt again on the one I'm currently using but it may be compounded by the winter dryness of my hands.
  • Apply scotch tape over the trackpad. I used the matte finish type. This actually worked really well. I may actually go back to it if the screen protector doesn't work out. I overlapped the edges of the tape some so they wouldn't peel up. One strip of wide tape may be the best.
  • Cut a finger off a rubber glove and put it on the finger that is sensitive. Make sure the glove doesn't bunch up on the soar spot or cut off circulation. I'm trying this out right now. Seems to work well. I'm using a nitrile glove from harbor freight.

Still looking on the internet for any other solutions. Interestingly the search results that come up are mostly about Macbooks

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2013 8:40 PM in response to Kathymel

Just posted this to another forum but I'll post it here as well.

I echo GoodSamritan's suggestions.

I have been having finger tip sensitivity while using the trackpad for about a year. Sometimes it is better sometimes it's worse. I think I've come across multiple contributors:

• ]The coating on the trackpad is wearing off. I believe the coating is probably some sort of low friction substance.
  • My hands get dry in the winter.

Solutions:

• Apply a high quality phone or tablet screen protector on top of your trackpad. I'm using a cheap one right now. A new one is coming in the mail. My fingers did start to hurt again on the one I'm currently using but it may be compounded by the winter dryness of my hands.
  • Apply scotch tape over the trackpad. I used the matte finish type. This actually worked really well. I may actually go back to it if the screen protector doesn't work out. I overlapped the edges of the tape some so they wouldn't peel up. One strip of wide tape may be the best.
  • Cut a finger off a rubber glove and put it on the finger that is sensitive. Make sure the glove doesn't bunch up on the soar spot or cut off circulation. I'm trying this out right now. Seems to work well. I'm using a nitrile glove from harbor freight.

Still looking on the internet for any other solutions. Interestingly the search results that come up are mostly about Macbooks

Aug 15, 2012 7:16 AM in response to Kathymel

Do you spend long hours sitting in the same position? The only other explanation I can think of is that you've developed some kind of minor RSI.

Try taking more frequent breaks, and using the computer in different places - sitting at a table or even on the floor. The important thing is to change the angle of your wrist, elbow and shoulders at regular intervals.

You'd be surprised at how quickly RSI can develop. I had an RSI condition from sitting too many hours at a desk. Working for an hour at the desk, taking a break, then an hour on the sofa, and being disciplined about alternating between the two for an hour at a time helped to clear it up (an excuse to use ML's new Reminders feature perhpas 🙂 ).

Jan 31, 2014 7:15 AM in response to Kathymel

I have this problem as well... If you think about it the prints on your fingertips are designed to GRIP, like tire treads. They don't slide across the trackpad so well, and over time that can damage nerve endings. To reduce that friction (grip) when it starts to bother me, I use just a tiny bit of Baby Powder on the tips of my fingers to help them slide over the track pad better.

I think the solution of using one of those low friction screen protectors is a great idea too!

Oct 3, 2017 4:12 AM in response to Kathymel

Yes I have the same issue now. Only after 18 months or so.

The keys and the Trackpad are hurting my right hand fingers now.

I think it is the Trackpad which has been responsible for it.

Over time its just got worse.

Not sure how to resolve this problem but am worried.

When I am at work ( Windows PC ) the problem lessens immediately with a conventional keyboard and mouse.

Still hurts but pain reduces over the next few days.

As soon as I pick up and start using my Macbook Air the problem starts again, This has been repeated and confirmed to be the Apple Macbook Trackpad. Am pretty confident about that.

Its a design fault I would say. Its simply takes too much pressure to depress.

Apple should resolve this - if they are reading and probably know about it already.

Aug 15, 2012 7:40 AM in response to Kathymel

I don't have this problem, but offer a different perspective which may be useful.

I have both a laptop with a trackpad and desktops with keyboard and mouse.

Familiarity with a keyboard, and memorised shortcuts/key combinations are a lot quicker and direct than pushing a mouse around. E.g. a mouse is good for drawing, but if you want to select a group of files, Command+A does the job quicker than a mouse can select them.

In turn, a mouse is quicker and more direct over a screen than sliding your fingers over a trackpad.

If I am going to use the laptop extensively, I'll plug a keyboard and/or mouse into it, just to improve the interaction compared with using just the track pad.

This may seem like a backward step to you, but consider the limitations of your trackpad, and how plugging in a keyboard and mouse in certain circumstances can make using your computer a lot easier, even if it means getting out of the sofa. 😁

I offer this as a helpful perspective.

Aug 15, 2012 7:48 AM in response to Kathymel

I have encountered that.

But I associated it with a particular usage and modified my usage slightly to alter the hardness of key presses, and the speed and frequency and types swipes on the trackpad. In short, I figured out mini-breaks for my fingers.

I cannot give a more specific solution for you, but I can tell you I found a solution.

Feb 27, 2014 7:37 PM in response to Kathymel

Holy Crap I'm shocked that my index finger and middle finger id going numb from my new mid 2012 mackbook air.

I just googled numbness in fingers and the Apple Support Communities is the first thing that comes up. I have been icing my finger after working on my laptop for hours. This is the first time the pain in my middle finger did not go away and it's been 24 hours. I'm now using my old laptop to get my work done, I will no longer be using my new expensive MacBook Air.

I will be heading to Apple store and get this taken care of. I thought I was the only person however now that I know it's my computer that is causing this numbnessthere and there are so many other people that have the same numbness happening, it can't be coincidence. I have printed all the conversation of these people from everywhere in the World, to have some confirmation that I am not the only person this condition happens to when I go into the Apple store.

San Francisco, CA

<Edited by Host>

Sep 7, 2014 8:52 PM in response to Eric Root

Hello All!

This is far.out.at.sea, one of the first commenters on another post about this same problem. I lost my old info, so my new id is out.to.sea.

My allergy to trackpads has continued. I have a mac book air (11-inch, 12-inch). Using a mouse pretty much has solved my problems, except when I for some reason I can't use my mouse and I'm stuck using the track pad. I recently lost my mouse and wasn't in a situation to buy one (I currently live in Kyrgyzstan in Central Asia). I had a project due and just had to work through the pain and I would like to describe the effect.

I mostly use my middle finger, fourth finger and pinky when using the track pad. I have attached two photos of my fingers. These photos were taken two days after I stopped touching the track pad. Beyond the internal pain in my fingers, joints, and hands, my fingers get dry, rough, wrinkly, and the top layer of my skin comes off. Compare my first finger to my last two. Notice the difference in color and texture?

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Good luck everyone with the pain! I know it is difficult!

Please message me if you have any questions.

Hannah

Soreness and numbness in fingertips from trackpad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.