8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 20, 2012 7:15 PM by Mac Daddy Hoon
razzz Level 1 (10 points)

Never had an issue until I upgraded to Mountain Lion. Now, this is the second time this has come up. The first time I wiped the backup and started from scratch. Is this what I need to do again? Is there a fix for this issue? Kinda defeats the purpose if every couple weeks I need to wipe the backup and start over.

Any ideas?

Here's the exact message.

tm.jpg

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)
  • mende1 Level 10 (92,156 points)

Open Finder, right-click the drive in the sidebar and select Get Info. Check the space

• Linc Davis Level 10 (192,191 points)

Are you using the Time Machine volume to store any other data?

• razzz Level 1 (10 points)

mende1 wrote:

Open Finder, right-click the drive in the sidebar and select Get Info. Check the space

I have about 105 GB of available space.

Linc Davis wrote:

Are you using the Time Machine volume to store any other data?

Nope.

• Linc Davis Level 10 (192,191 points)

Repair the volume in Disk Utility. The operation may take several hours, so you should probably run it overnight.

• soehn Level 2 (195 points)

If you have not already wiped your TM-drive, please do the following:

Open Time-Machine (the Star Wars view). Is the last backup complete? Are any folders in the finder sidebar greyed out?

If so, open your TM-drive in finder, go to Backups-backupdb->your-computer and delete the folder with the latest backup (2012...., do not delete the link called Latest!). Also delete the ..InProgres.. file.

Empty your trash.

Try to start another backup manually.

If this helps for a while, we are seeing the same problem...

So here's the latest. I spoke with Apple Support and we think we narrowed it down to VMware's virtual machine.

The virtual machine file size VMware creates is very large (in my case 22GB). So, everytime I do something on the windows side it wants to back that file up. Which basically is eating up my external drive used for backups. I've excluded that directory from my backups and so far so good.

• Mac Daddy Hoon Level 1 (0 points)

So I'm having the same problem.  Unfortunately, I can't find a directory names VMware.  Was this a unique fix to your specific problem or is it supposed to be a general band-aid?

If it's specific, can you describe the steps you took to identify the guilty directory so that I can try to repeat?

Thanks much,

Scott