Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I salvage a file that is giving an Error code -36?

I am trying to copy a file from one hard drive to another. It's a fairly large file (3.6 GB), and I very much need it to copy.

Copying or duplicating the file results in this error message:

User uploaded file

Is there any way to salvage this file at all?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 3.4 GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD

Posted on Aug 15, 2012 7:27 AM

11 replies

Aug 15, 2012 8:00 AM in response to roam

Hi roam,

The error message says, "The Finder can't complete the operation because some data in "MFA Mail" can't be read or written. (Error code -36)"

The file I'm trying to move contains a large volume of archived emails. I can't access the file when it's not in the correct folder, and I can't seem to move it to any other folder either on the same volume or a different volume.

Aug 15, 2012 8:14 AM in response to Craig Weiland

'MFA Mail' does not ring a bell.

This is my (custom)error info (also on 10.6.8)

~ $ errcheck -36

ioErr = -36, /*I/O error (bummers)*/

that does not sound good. 😉

I'm no Mail guru, in fact I have no disciples at all, but what was the application that created these emails?

Was it in Apple Mail or some program from another system?

edit

now 1:15 am Catch up with you tomorrow, Craig

Aug 17, 2012 8:39 AM in response to Craig Weiland

but the drive will not let me boot

There is a clue. Maybe the particular error message is more to do with the drive than the file. Perhaps the drive surface has a fault just where this file is. It is 3.6GB large so it would cover a fair area, and could be affected by defective memory blocks on the disk.

You could try and repair the drive with Disk utility, failing that you could try Disk Warrior, which has been known to recover seemingly disabled drives that are beyond DU's ability to repair.

Aug 20, 2012 1:53 PM in response to ds store

Disk Warrior did the trick.

It did not allow me to copy the file, but it did allow me to boot from the drive. Once I could boot, I could access the data directly from Thunderbird, transfer the emails to newly created folders, and the copy those folders to the other hard drive. My data has been recovered from the corrupted file.

Thanks ds store & roam for your suggestion. DW was well worth the money.

How do I salvage a file that is giving an Error code -36?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.