Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What about buying an iPhone 3GS in Aug. 2012?

Am guessing similar threads exist, but I couldn't find one. Apologies if this is way redundant.

I can pick up a "new" one on ebay for around $300, maybe a little less (not refurb -- usually they are phones people received from warranty replacements, but decided to not use). At this stage with the iPhone 4GS around and the new one anticipated to debut before the end of 2012, is the 3GS a good choice for $300. That is topping out (over) my budget, but do-able. Am on Verizon and don't want to get into a contract with them, ever, so the 4G and 4GS w/o contract are out of my budget completely. So it's down to a new 3GS or I'll pick one of the other operating system smartphones that would be a more "current" model withink their line than the 3GS is within the iPhone group.

I will mostly use it for email, and web browsing. I write a lot of long emails and prefer a physical keyboard, but am willing to adapt to a virtual keyboard if the 3GS is right for me in all other ways. Used a Blackberry Tour for couple of years at work. I'd say the experience was "Eh". It did way more "business" stuff than I ever was interested in or utilized, but it was okay for email and kind of slow on web.

So if you've had or used iPhone and other system smartphones, please share your thoughts or exprience. There are Motorola Droids with physical keyboards for $200 and under on ebay, and lots of nice looking Samsung smartphones for same.

I'm super tired of emailing on my Samsung Alias 2, but it gets the basics done for now.

Thanks, Thanks, Thanks.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Upgrading to 6GB RAM & Lion. Yay!

Posted on Aug 15, 2012 7:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2012 7:29 AM

I wasn't aware there was a CDMA iPhone 3GS.

3 replies

What about buying an iPhone 3GS in Aug. 2012?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.