Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I do I do this ?

I am doig some house cleaning on my MBP. I have a lot of managed masters that I will be moving off to a HD.

Some of the masters were actually exports from iPhoto. I would like to have the iPhoto exports just in iPhoto. I beleive they were left in the iPhoto libray and Aperture just points to them in that location. But I want to be sure. Spotlight wasn't much help. In iPhoto I can right click and then "Show File" and the path to the file shows up.

As far as I can tell in Aperture, unless the master is offline or missing, I can't do anything like that. But I am hoping there is a way to verify the location of the master, before I delete thme from Aperture.

Thanks in advance for any help.

17 , Mac OS X (10.6.8), Aperture, FCP X,

Posted on Aug 15, 2012 7:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2012 7:54 AM

As far as I can tell in Aperture, unless the master is offline or missing, I can't do anything like that.

If a master/original of an image is referenced, you can show the original file with

File > Show in Finder

but only if the original is not offline or missing.

You can check the file status of your original/master image files using smart searches or smart albums. Add a rule to the smart settings HUD "File Status is" - the images that are referencing the iPhoto library should have the file stautus "referenced" and you should see their masters with "Show in Finder".

What is your Aperture version? If you had Aperture 3.3.2 and iPhoto 9.3.2, you simply could open your Aperture Library in iPhoto and then use iPhoto's show command to show your managed masters, but since your signature is MacOS X 10.6.8 you probably have an earlier Aperture version.

Regards

Léonie

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2012 7:54 AM in response to Michigan One Fly

As far as I can tell in Aperture, unless the master is offline or missing, I can't do anything like that.

If a master/original of an image is referenced, you can show the original file with

File > Show in Finder

but only if the original is not offline or missing.

You can check the file status of your original/master image files using smart searches or smart albums. Add a rule to the smart settings HUD "File Status is" - the images that are referencing the iPhoto library should have the file stautus "referenced" and you should see their masters with "Show in Finder".

What is your Aperture version? If you had Aperture 3.3.2 and iPhoto 9.3.2, you simply could open your Aperture Library in iPhoto and then use iPhoto's show command to show your managed masters, but since your signature is MacOS X 10.6.8 you probably have an earlier Aperture version.

Regards

Léonie

Aug 15, 2012 8:30 AM in response to léonie

Ok, both post were very helpful. But let me explain a little better what I have. I am using Aperture 3.2.4 on 10.6.8. I will be updating later this week.

I have some 600 plus pictures that are managed. Some 6000 that are referenced. I had already created a smart album like LeonieDF suggested. I called it manaded originals. It showed some 700 images. I found that some of them were from iPhoto. I expect I had exported them from iPhoto to a folder and then imported them into Aperture as managed, so that I couid fine tune them for a DVD.

Turns out I already had a smart album that looked for managed masters. But this album is populated with different images. I'll start another post for that issue later.

Now for the iPhoto export photos, I want to only have them in iPhoto, but before I delete them from Aperture I want to be certain they are not going to be gone from both iPhoto and Aperture.

I did a quick test and it seems as though the images are duplicated. One in each Library. There is a copy in iPhoto for sure. I did a show file in there and I can see it. Aperture...not so sure.

Can I be certain that if an image is in the smart album with the file status set to managed, then it has a copy in the Aperture Library somewhere. I think that is what I am getting from the responses from Lionie and Frank.

Aug 15, 2012 9:58 AM in response to Michigan One Fly

Yes if you search for File Status -> Managed

User uploaded file

Then the originals of the images found are in the Aperture library Masters folder.

However it is always a good idea when deleting images to do it in multiple steps. That is delete the originals from Aperture (this will place them in the Aperture trash) and then make sure the copies are still in iPhoto. Then empty the Aperture trash placing the images in the system trash and check iPhoto again. If you still see the images in iPhoto and checking the location of the original in iPhoto still shows thme to be in the same place as they have benn and not in the system trash file it would be safe to empty the system trash.

regards

How can I do I do this ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.