Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Losing ONLY the last 2 minutes of a 2 hour soundtrack on a burned DVD

Being transfered from a forum to another, it is actually on the iDVD discussion I should find the more accurate support.

Many people have to deal with a burned DVD on which they lose their own soundtrack - except the sound coming with menus for example.

For my part I gotta deal with something else. I have built a 2 hour movie with FCPX and everything works fine. Chapters have been set on Compressor 4, no problem. Buildin a DVD with iDVD, no problem.

Now I burn a physical DVD or I create a disk image and I can hear everything, except for the 2 last minutes of the movie which is actually the same soundtrack, the same song.

I have read about it, and I've only found out about people losing their entire soudtrack, but still, I've followed the instructions which are:

1. Deleting the actual com.apple.iDVD.plist file > same thing

2. Fixing permissions > same thing

3. Re-installing iDVD using Pacifist > same thing

I have been aware enough to try from other iDVD projects, and I tried to rebuild a new iDVD project using the right movie. I've even tried to use different settings so my .mov document is lighter, but I keep on losing sound on my last 2 minutes - again, a song coming from the same document...

I built a disk image with only the second half of the dvd and it still does'nt work.

I can hear the sound from FCPX, and from QT or any other reader once the chapters have been set on Compressor.

I am using a double layer DVD, set on optimal performances. This whole project was about building four different 2hour movies, and the 3 first ones didn't give me any problem.

So. I can understand that iDVD does'nt wanna give me sound on the last 2 minutes of a particular 60 minutes .mov document, which works perfectly on FCPX, Compressor, QT, and iDVD (as I am building the dvd)

What's wrong with this one ???

Thank you

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 15, 2012 12:00 PM

2 replies

Aug 15, 2012 1:38 PM in response to P Tremblay

Hi

I think that there can be more than one thing to this.

• iDVD limits movie PLUS MENU TO A TOTAL OFF 2 HOUR on a SL-DVD

(Menus can take from 1 minute to 15 minutes or more from the 120 min maximum)

iDVD 08, 09 & 11 has three levels of qualities. (version 7.0.1, 7,0.4 & 7.1.1) and iDVD 6 has the two last ones

• Professional Quality

(movies + menus up to 120 min.) - BEST (but not always for short movies e.g. up to 45 minutes in total)

• Best Performances

(movies + menus less than 60 min.) - High quality on final DVD (Can be best for short movies)

• High Quality (in iDVD08 or 09) / Best Quality (in iDVD6)

(movies + menus up to 120 min.) - slightly lower quality than above

Menu can take 15 minutes or even more - I use a very simple one with no audio or animation like ”Brushed Metal” in old Themes.

About double on DL DVDs.

• How You got from FinalCut to iDVD - Some FinalCut Pro users - use a too clever way

- Export out as QuickTime .mov from FinalCut - NO QT-Conversion or Use of Compressor or any other smart way

- I export out as NON-Selfcontaining - as this saves space and goes faster

- BEFORE Export I do

a. MixDown Audio - Sequence and RENDER Optional / MixDown Audio - then -

b. Sequence RENDER ALL - Both Audio and Video

c. I then set in and out points

Yours Bengt W

Aug 16, 2012 12:11 PM in response to Bengt Wärleby

Thanx a lot Bengt for all these advices.

Without being a professional, I had a few problems in the past which took me to a right way of working, at least how to grossly work from FCPX to Compressor to iDVD. All of your right advices are the way I work at least when I follow this route ( FCPX, Compressor, iDVD).

I solved my problem by rebuilding my 60 minutes film from FCPX, exported it in a ProRes422 format, re-set the chapters in Compresssor 4, and then re-built my DVD replacing only the second hour.

And everything works just like a charm.

I found out there was a problem (I could absolutely not identify) in the second hour of my film which is kinda weird: I was losing only the last 2 minutes of the soudtrack only on a burned DVD or a disk image, while everything was OK on FCPX (monitoring), Compressor (even once the chapters were set), and iDVD (monitoring).

Dont know what it is...

And it is not a matter of space since I've tried every possible combination (only the second hour, only the first hour, an entire different project...) and it has always been the same thing.

So the problem is solved, but if ever somebody can either find out what it might be or suggest what to look at, I wish I could understand why was I losing only the last 2 minutes of a 2 hour film.

Cheers, and thanx again

🙂

Losing ONLY the last 2 minutes of a 2 hour soundtrack on a burned DVD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.