Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How much free space to leave on hard drive

Hi. As I understand it, you should leave at least 30% of your hard drive free to allow the drive to give you optimum performance w/ the least wear and tear. And I guess 65/35 is even better. My question concerns leaving the proper percentage of free space on a drive that is partitioned. Do you treat each volume as a separate drive and leave each partition 30% free, rather than having one partition contain proportionally more free space than the other which might contain less?

Final Cut Pro 6, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Aug 15, 2012 11:53 AM

9 replies

Aug 15, 2012 4:52 PM in response to stopmotion

It's truly hard to say. A lot of disc burning, certain OS cache and log uses, large demands on virtual memory due to lack of physical memory, all sorts ot temporary file uses. These and others might put demands on hard drive free space even if those demand are short-lived.

Certainly video and audio editing could put big demands on hard drive space, especially the latter.

How much free space to leave on hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.