Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copy iPhoto To MB Pro !

Hi All,

I have a MacMini and a MB Pro both running SL 10.6.8

Running iPhoto v8.1.2 on Mac Mini & MB Pro

Tried to copy iPhoto Library from MacMini to MB Pro.

When trying to open iPhoto on the MB Pro it crashes

And I get this message.

User uploaded file

Does anyone know how to remedy this. I think it should work?

Thanks for your help and input,

JRC

Mac Mini, Mac OS X (10.6.4), MB Pro

Posted on Aug 15, 2012 12:03 PM

6 replies

Aug 15, 2012 2:24 PM in response to JRCorv

Did you also copy the iPhoto themes from the Mini to the MBP? They are required files that are located in the HD/Library/Application Support/iPhoto folder. There's also iLifeSlideshow files that need to be installed also if you haven't already done so. That's one reason using the install disk with is preferable to piecemeal installations.

OT

Aug 17, 2012 9:46 AM in response to JRCorv

You may have to either purchase iPhoto from the App Store or purchase a copy of the boxed iLife 11 or 09 disk from a 3rd party retailer like Amazon.com: iLife 11. I would get the iLife 11 disk as it also includes iDVD and iWeb, both of which have been discontinued by Apple and are not being offered by Apple. That way you can alway reinstall that version any time you need to much easier than going thru the App Store (IMO).

Aug 17, 2012 2:53 PM in response to Old Toad

Old Toad, I see that you really know your iPhoto/iDVD products. I have a similar problem, perhaps you can help.

I have an iMac 24" that I purchased in 2009. With it came iLife '09. I've been creating slideshows and movies with iPhoto/iMovie/iDVD and been very happy with the professional-looking results.

Tomorrow is my parents' 50th anniversary. I decided to make an elaborate slideshow of their lives, with some photos going back to the 1920s. So, a couple of weeks ago, before starting the project, I decided to upgrade my iPhoto '09 to '11 so I can get any benefits from the improved software and any additional slideshow themes. Bad decision, as I found out late last night while trying to send the slideshow to iDVD for finalizing the project (I know, I should have done this earlier).

As you can imagine, my beautiful slideshow which renders great in iPhoto '11 (I'm using the Scrapbook theme) is not doing too well in iDVD (version 7.1.2). Photos are stretched, images that are part of the theme are missing, etc. When I saw this happening, I checked the discussion forum and came across the incompatibilities between iPhoto '11 and iDVD. :-(

So now I'm at a crossroads. I managed to borrow an MBP from work which has iLife '09 installed. Option A would be to export the slideshow (and photo files) from iPhoto '11 to the MBP and attempt to recreate the slideshow there, send it to iDVD on the MBP and then burn the DVD. Option B would be to somehow downgrade iPhoto '11 from my iMac back to iPhoto '09 (not sure if it's even possible) and hopefully the slideshow would render in iPhoto '09. Option C would be to pack up and take my iMac with me to the place where we're having the event tomorrow and connect it directly to the HDTV which is being used for the show. From the iMac I can present the slideshow, but it will not have the nice, clean, UI of a DVD.

Needless to say, I have a lot of work to do tonight, no matter which way I go. I just hope not to screw something up, so I'm grateful for any advice you (or anyone else) may have.

Thank you in advance.

Copy iPhoto To MB Pro !

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.