Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I get my iPhoto slideshows onto a DVD that is playable on a TV's DVD player?

We have mades several Iphoto slideshows with music and would like to make DVDs that area playable on a TV style DVD player.

I tried Export and it builds the slideshow through Musictime. I was then able to burn a DVD and it played perfectly on my computer. But, it will not play on either of my DVD players.

I tried going to Share and using IDVD but I cannot find the slideshow file after IDVD opens. I have checked File and do not see it anywhere.

I had viewed some tutorials and thought Magic IDVD was the way to go, but on the file list it does not show the completed slideshows, only IPhoto Pictures, Events and Albums.

MAC OS.X

Posted on Aug 15, 2012 1:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2012 2:09 PM

When you use the Share ➙ iDVD menu option does'nt the slideshow end up in the iDVD open project?

Otherwise use the Export button to export the large size QT movie version of it, 720 x 540,

User uploaded file

and save it on the Desktop. Then open iDVD and drag the movie file into the iDVD menu being careful to avoid any drop zones.

Then follow this workflow to help ensure the best quality final product:

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image and launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding was good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

OT

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2012 2:09 PM in response to topcop1

When you use the Share ➙ iDVD menu option does'nt the slideshow end up in the iDVD open project?

Otherwise use the Export button to export the large size QT movie version of it, 720 x 540,

User uploaded file

and save it on the Desktop. Then open iDVD and drag the movie file into the iDVD menu being careful to avoid any drop zones.

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image and launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding was good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

OT

Aug 15, 2012 6:09 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks Old Toad

I managed to get a disc burned going through the Share. Not sure how I found it, but I did. It played very well on my TV.

Now I am working on getting rid of the pesty Theme that starts it off. I found a way on Help, but it looks like I have to start from scratch. But, that will have to wait until tomorrow.

Your help is appreciated.

Aug 15, 2012 6:40 PM in response to topcop1

All iDVD projects have to have a menu to fall back into. If you want to have a non descript theme choose one of the earlier themes that had no drop zones and use an image file for the background. It can even be black. If you want the disk to start playing immediately when the disc is put in the player go to the Map mode and drag the slideshow/video you want to start with into the auto-play bin at the left.

Aug 15, 2012 7:49 PM in response to Old Toad

I did as you suggested..."drag the slideshow you want into the auto-play bin at left." But as I try to burn it I keep getting an error message ..."There were warnings during the project validation. It is recommended that you fix these problems before burning the project." I did not see any warning during the export and have no idea how to find and fix these problems.

You also gave me these instructions for the work around ....."Then open iDVD and drag the movie file into the iDVD menu being careful to avoid any drop zones." I am unsure what you mean by this?? I have it on my desktop but do not understand that instruction.

I get these options file://localhost/Users/jjmsmith/Desktop/Screen%20Shot%202012-08-15%20at%2010.28. 23%20PM.png

Once my project is on the desk top I tried your...."save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option" instruction but I also get the burn error message.

Sorry for all the questions, but I am a complete novice with all this and obviously very lost.

Aug 16, 2012 11:19 AM in response to topcop1

Some themes have a drop zone to dispoay photos or video clips in the menu. You don't want to put your movie in it.

What brand and type of disc are you using? Try this basic troubleshooting fix :

1 - delete the IDVD preference file, com.apple.iDVD.plist, that resides in your

User/Home(User uploaded file)/Library/ Preferences folder.

2 - delete IDVD'S cache file, Cache.db, that is located in your

User/Home(User uploaded file)/Library/Caches/com.apple.iDVD folder.

User uploaded file

Click to view full size

3 - launch IDVD and try again.

Aug 16, 2012 2:07 PM in response to Old Toad

Old Toad...Thanks again.

I am now on the right track. I managed to export four slideshows with music and put them in an IDVD Project.

At first I kept getting an encoding error message whenever I went to burn. Tried redoing the project with no results.

I then tried the Professional Encoding and placed each slidshow into the project one at a time. I would have the Theme ready, drag the slideshow into it and label it in the sub-menu text box on the theme page. Then the other three, one at a time.

It took a long time to burn, but being the Pro Quality I was aware of this.

Took the finished project to a DVD Player connected to my widescreen TV. The theme opened showing each of the four titles, chose one and each played flawlessly.

Thanks for your patience and help.

How can I get my iPhoto slideshows onto a DVD that is playable on a TV's DVD player?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.