Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

B&W Zeppelin Air Cuts out every minute over airplay on Mac retina & Iphone

Hi, I have searched through so many pages of forums and guides on the Bowers and Wilkins (B&W) Zeppelin Air and am at wits end with trying to get the device to stream music without cutting out every 20 seconds or so. Ive been trying to find new ways of fixing this for a good 6 months and now given that Apple are supposedly changing the connector for the new iphone I wont be able to use it in the traditional way if I upgrade my iphone either... gets me tempted to upgrade to the Galaxy and ditch this lovely sounding unit altogether... more hassell than its worth.

In any case below is my problem... I would be forever greatful if someone could please, please help me!

Setup:

Wireless router, running in a small two bedroom condo / apartment. Full signal strength.

The Zeppelin is in the lounge, about 5m (8 foot) from the router.

I have my Macbook retina, a Windows 7 laptop, my iphone 4s and my girlfriends ipad 2 that all experience this issue.

The setup has been done correctly and reset and retried several times.

Initially we can play songs for perhaps a few minutes and it will be fine, but then for no reason at all the sound cuts for usually about 5 seconds, then sometimes it will cut for a minute and other times it won't come back at all. I bought this Zeppelin specifically for this feature for use in partys etc and as a result I never usethe thing.

I don't run an airport express etc - I didnt really think I would need it given my setup.

Is this a common / unfixable issue with airplay and the bowers and wilkins? I get the feeling I am not the only one that has this issue yet haven't been able to find any solutions for it. Like I said - Im at wits end. Ive owned B&W products all my life but feel they have really let the quality slip on this product surrounding airplay. They obviously understand sound reproduction but technology not so much.

Zeppelin Air-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 15, 2012 5:56 PM

14 replies

Feb 19, 2017 3:02 AM in response to chrisgareth

If it's any consolation; I have had this problem since I purchased the Zeppelin. I've got plenty of other Air Play devices in the house that don't have any problems like this so it's *highly* likely that it's particularly related to the Zeppelin. Needless to say it's incredibly annoying, and I suspect just rare enough for B&W not to care about it (I've contacted them in the past but to no avail.)

Aug 17, 2012 3:13 AM in response to chrisgareth

Hello Chris,

If you are getting dropouts during AirPlay playback, you are most likely experiencing Wi-Fi/RF interference. You mention you live in a condo so I’m guessing that you are able to see a lot of other wi-fi networks. The thing with Wi-Fi is that the vast majority of routers operate on the 2.4gHz frequency (incidentally other RF devices such as microwaves and cordless phones operate on this frequency and can also cause Wi-Fi interference).

If other routers in the condo block are overlapping with yours, this may be what is causing your problem. Accessing your router settings and assigning the network to specific Wi-Fi channel may help eliminate this problem.

You can download an app called iStumbler. This scans local networks and tells you what Wi-Fi channels they are operating on. From here you can make a decision what channel is best to assign your network to. In normal practice channel 1, 6 and 11 offer best results as these are the channels that do not overlap with any others.

Also the Zeppelin Air is an 802.11g device. Changing the 802.11 standard on your router to ‘g’ only or to a mixed signal that does not contain the 802.11n standard may also help.

I’ve had a look on Bowers & Wilkins website and have found out they recently released an update to the Zeppelin Air firmware. You can find the link to the firmware download on the following link;

http://bowersandwilkins.custhelp.com/app/home/p/6,7

I performed this on my Zeppelin Air and it was a very easy process; 5-10 minutes tops.

I have also seen a support article on their site entitled ‘When streaming via AirPlay I experience audio dropouts, what can I do to resolve this?’ http://bowersandwilkins.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/40/p/6%2C7

Have a look at this and try the fault funding process outlined in the article.

Dare I say, it but it may just be the case your router is not up to the job. Visit the router manufacturer’s website to see if there is a firmware upgrade available for your router model.

Do remember wi-fi networking is incredibly complicated behind the scenes. There are many links in the chain, and the weakest link may not necessarily be the most obvious.

Mar 3, 2013 2:18 PM in response to rusty1

Thanks so much rusty1.

My Zeppelin Air worked fine when it was in a house with only a couple of competing wifi networks but since moving into an apartment where there are easily 15 other networks in range it's been sadly out of sorts. I just switched the router settings to 802.11g earlier today and so far so good. I had previously updated the firmware which hadn't solved the issue. So fingers crossed!

Dec 22, 2014 3:45 PM in response to chrisgareth

I have the same unit its hardwired into a router, same issue takes a bit longer about 20 minutes. Very frustrating issue. Has happened across my iPhone 4s and iPhone 5s. Whats interesting is that another 5s in the house seems to go hours before the problem happens. Once the streaming stops I have to unplug the zeppelin and plug it back in to get it working again. Am almost ready to simply setup a old Express and enable audio airplay on it and turn the the Zeppelin into a old school speaker.

Jan 4, 2015 11:40 AM in response to chrisgareth

Chris,

I think I finally found a solution to this controversial problem. Just like everyone else here I bought this unit two years ago with great expectations to only find problems with connection and constant cut-offs. After taking a course in statistical communications system, I finally (yay--duhh) realized what the problem was. My current card has a 802.11g which is an old technology for our current standards. Well, the fundamental solution to the problem is to decrease the interference from other device in the same bandwidth and also in the same channel. By principle, 802.11g can only "resolve" about 3 devices overlapping and the rest is taking care by receiver's signal processing inside each of the devices. In my opinion, B&W didn't think about this from the receiver stand point.

Ok--- here is the solution --- In order to minimize inter-channel interference, I changed my wireless router to a dual band (2.4GHz and 5Ghz) with 802.11b/g/n. I directed all my devices that can take advantage of the 802.11n to a dedicated SID and JUST the Zepellin to the 802.11g to different SID. This worked like a charm ---- NO more interference or cut-offs. The only interference (very very minimal) is from my neighbors who still use 802.11g, but this can easily be solved by changing the channel once in a while. Hope this works for you.

B&W Zeppelin Air Cuts out every minute over airplay on Mac retina & Iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.