Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Java Overload

Hi there ......

I have 74 JAVA and JAVA-related folders taking up residence on my hard drive.

As you can imagine, along with 74 folders comes countless Java and Java-Associated files.

File types include:

JAR, Source

JavaScriptScripts

Header Source

CSStyleSheets

An enormous collection of HTMLDocs ... and on and on.

Interestingly, only 14 of the 74 folders are simply titled "Java".

Other folders names include:

Java Overview, Development Tools

Java Deployment

Java UI Toolkits

Java API

Java VM

Java Javasco_alntro

JavaScri_document

Cocoa Java Index

JavaScri_RevHistory

GS_Java

J2EEJavaAppServerGuide

JavaTools

Java2D

Java3D

Java50Release3RN

Java50Release4RN

Java50RN

Java131API_

JavaBridge

JavaPropVMinfoRef

JavaforWODEV

JavaX

QT4Java

WebJavaPlugin_protocol .... and on and on and on

I plugged "Java" into spotlight and got 9,920 Items

Model Name: MacBook

Model Identifier: MacBook2,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 667 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B07

SMC Version (system): 1.17f0

Serial Number (system): W87350KBZA8

Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-001B6333F54C

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

Safari 5.0.5

OSX 10.6.8

I am also suffering from Daily Kernel Panics with the culprit possibly being: A) webkitpluginhost; or B) Ambrosia audio software.

Panics occur primarily during gameplay. Game is called "Starland Multiplayer TD" on nonoba.com.

No problems with other browser games.

Also experiencing problems with Facebook Castleville and Castleville played directly at developer site, zynga.com.

Would problems arise if I were to trash every folder and file belonging to Java and its associated elements??

Is there a utility that can go in ... determine what you need and throw out all the rest ... a cleanup in a sense??

With gratitude in advance ..... any assistance is appreciated 🙂

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 15, 2012 6:57 PM

2 replies

Aug 16, 2012 12:22 AM in response to LizzCA

Would problems arise if I were to trash every folder and file belonging to Java and its associated elements??

That depends on what you mean by 'problems'...

If the 'problem' is that your machine crashes and those crashes are caused by some Java-related process then yes, in a way, trashing all these folders would 'solve' the problem because you simply wouldn't be able to launch the application that's leading to the issue. Problem solved. 🙂

Of course, if you do want to actually run those Java-based applications, that cure might be too much to swallow.

Is there a utility that can go in ... determine what you need and throw out all the rest ... a cleanup in a sense??

No. At least not that I'm aware of. Any Java-based app could just pick the most-recent version and run with that, or it may make specific references to older versions. There's no way of telling.

The only real consolation is that most things like header files and such are typically only needed for developing software, not running it, so they may be safe to throw away. However you probably won't gain much by doing so - if they're not used by any given application then they can't be impacting the stability of the system.

In any case, digging a little deeper makes me think you're running on a tangent anyway. Starland Multiplayer TD uses Shockwave/Flash, not Java, as do the Zynga games. I don't think Java is in any way related to the problems you're having. Flash may be - check to make sure you're running the latest Flash/Shockwave plugins.

Aug 16, 2012 5:38 AM in response to LizzCA

LizzCA wrote:

File types include:

JavaScriptScripts

Header Source

CSStyleSheets

An enormous collection of HTMLDocs ... and on and on..

These are not Java; JavaScript is nothing whatever to do with Java - that and the others above are browser helper files.

The HTML docs could be practically anything as many applications use HTML files for their Read-Me and Help pages. This is still not remotely related to Java.

Java Overload

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.