Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Video chat completely not functioning

About 3 months ago I downloaded the Messages beta onto my mac. Until this point I had never encountered any problems with iChat on my laptop. Starting a few days after this download, I started running into to multiple problems with video chat's in Messages. These problems included not showing up in my friends buddy lists, and not having audio in video chats that I initiated. I learned about the imagent process and that stopping it in activity monitor might be a temporary fix. I used this for awhile but in the end I decided to just uninstall the beta hoping my problems would be cured and they were...until I downloaded Mountain Lion about a week again. Since this download I've started encountering more and more problems as the days go by. For the first few days everything worked perfectly, then I started noticing the when I started video chats in messages, I couldn't hear my buddies. A few days later I realized that multiperson video chats were completley not working, with the "an unknown error occured" message popping up. Soon my problems got even worse. When being invited into a video chat, I would click accept but nothing would happen and the video preview would stay on the screen. And just today my problems got even worse. When being invited to a video chat, the green light would pop up, but no video preview or message to accept/decline.

Please, please, please help. I've red through many articles and tried everything but nothings been working and its only getting worse.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 15, 2012 7:47 PM

1 reply

Aug 19, 2012 1:31 PM in response to tman42298

Hi

I would start by Repairing Permissions using the Disk Utility > First Aid tab

I would also do a PRAM reset.

Shut down the computer.

Restart it holding down Apple/CMD ( or ⌘)+ALT (⌥)+P+R Keys until you have heard three Start Up Bongs.

User uploaded file

If this does not work I would do a Safe Boot

Restart Normally afterwards.

User uploaded file
9:31 PM Sunday; August 19, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Lion 10.7.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Video chat completely not functioning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.