Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 3g doesn't show up in find my iPhone

I currently have 3 devices set up on mobile me account (iPhone 4 and two ipads). I just re-activated my old iPhone 3g. I restored the phone to factory settings and installed the latest OS (that's available for that phone). The phone is fully functional (ie, make/receive calls, use 3g internet,etc).

Under the mail, contacts, I added my MobileMe account and enabled Find My iPhone. However, when I login to find my iPhone, it only finds my original 3 devices. I've tried disabling, then re-enabling it. I've tried deleting the account, then adding it back. All to no avail.

Any ideas what the problem is, or what else I can do to try to fix it?

iPhone 3G, iOS 4.2

Posted on Aug 15, 2012 8:58 PM

22 replies

Aug 16, 2012 2:46 AM in response to ckuan

I wouldn't try "explaining" you're perceptions, but this is how the app explains itself, from the Setup Instructions (on the app logon page):

"Set up Find My iPhone

Before you can use Find My iPhone to locate your iOS device or Mac, you need to turn on Find My iPhone on each device. Be sure to use the same Apple ID (iCloud account) on each device you set up.

Note: If you already set up iCloud on your devices, Find My iPhone may already be turned on. To make sure everything is set up correctly, or to turn on Find My iPhone on another device, follow the steps below."

As you can see, the device has to have an iCloud account with FMiP activeated - it's not the app that "sends a beacon."

As already explained in this thread, you need iOS 5 for the devices in order to have an iCloud account on them. Any computer or browser can be used to locate devices.

Aug 17, 2012 10:28 AM in response to ckuan

ckuan, do you have an iPhone 3G or 3GS? I know it'll work with a 3GS with iOS5, but when I download FMiP on my 3G, all it can see, and all my others can see are my 3 iOS5 devices. No iPhone 3G.

Looks like my son will be getting an iPhone 4 sooner than he ever thought possible. It'll cost me the same to upgrade my iPhone 4 to a 4S as to purchase a refurbished 3GS. (And no, I don't want to wait for an iPhone5, I already complain about my phone being too big. Why would I want a bigger one? )

Aug 18, 2012 4:33 AM in response to barbja

I have 2 iPhone 3G, 1 iPhone 4S and 2 iPod Touches 4th generation.

The iPhone 3G have FMiP app version 1.4 installed.

Poster arodecap and the others above are wrong. I just tested all of them to be sure.

If you have IOS 5 devices and have FMiP app installed, you can also locate youself with the same Apple ID used in Settings > iCloud > Account.

You can also use FMiP app to locate other Apple devices if you login with their Apple account.

Since iPhone 3G does not support iCloud, you must have another newer Apple device (IOS 5.x) to create an iCloud account which I did using iPod Touch 4 gen., iPhone 4S was not available that time when I did the configuration.

Now, if I login to FMiP in iPhone 3G using my Apple ID (which is the same for my iCloud account), I can locate the 2 iPhone 3G, 1 iPhone 4S, 2 iPod Touches and my Mac as well.

Hope this help.

Nov 1, 2012 3:36 PM in response to ckuan

ckuan, I tried this with my iPod Touch 2nd generation with IOS 4.2.1 and it does not work for me.

I have had the Find My Phone app on my touch forever.

I was able find my touch back when MobileMe was still alive, but nothing I have tried will work now that MobileMe is gone.

Please tell us what IOS version you have on your iPhone 3G.

iPhone 3g doesn't show up in find my iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.