Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using office '04 with Mountain Lion?

I just upgraded to Mountain Lion and now I cannot use any of my office '04 programs. I realize that upgrading to office '11 will probably solve this, but do i have to upgrade through microsoft or is there a way to do it through the app store?

MacBook (13-inch Late 2009), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 15, 2012 10:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2012 10:49 PM

Office 2004 Applications Won't Work in Lion

You must have Office 2004 which is a PPC-only suite and will not work in Lion. You need to upgrade to Office 2011 - Mactopia - or you can try the freeware suite, Libre Office, that is functionally similar to Office 2007 for Windows except it works on Lion.

You may want to consider as well:

These two suites are similar to Libre Office but not as current or as well-supported:

NeoOffice

Open Office

And, then there is Apple's iWork suite:

Pages - word processing and layout

Keynote - presentation

Numbers - spreadsheet

Each can open and save Office compatible files. They may be purchased separately via the Mac App Store for $19.99 each.

(Access to the Mac App Store requires Snow Leopard 10.6.6 or higher and an Apple ID.)

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2012 10:49 PM in response to akhterz96

Office 2004 Applications Won't Work in Lion

You must have Office 2004 which is a PPC-only suite and will not work in Lion. You need to upgrade to Office 2011 - Mactopia - or you can try the freeware suite, Libre Office, that is functionally similar to Office 2007 for Windows except it works on Lion.

You may want to consider as well:

These two suites are similar to Libre Office but not as current or as well-supported:

NeoOffice

Open Office

And, then there is Apple's iWork suite:

Pages - word processing and layout

Keynote - presentation

Numbers - spreadsheet

Each can open and save Office compatible files. They may be purchased separately via the Mac App Store for $19.99 each.

(Access to the Mac App Store requires Snow Leopard 10.6.6 or higher and an Apple ID.)

Using office '04 with Mountain Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.